USB Audio Device not working - Stereo Link 1200

I bought a new computer with Windows 7 on it and my Stereo Link 1200 works 5% of the time.  The old box was XP and it worked perfectly.

This is the product http://www.stereo-link.com/

The manufacturer is aware of the issue.  http://usbdac.blogspot.com/

I've tried all their solutions aside from the multiple registration fix (not tech savy enough to attempt this).

New Computer: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Essentio+Desktop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor/9699025.p?id=1218152464094&skuId=9699025

It seems to randomly work and I haven't been able to determine what the pattern is.

Any help would be welcome.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have used a Stereo-Link USB DAC (Digital-to-Audio Converter) box for a couple of years using Windows XP Home Premium Edtion, and the operating system used its own native drivers (USB Audio) to recognize and power the device successfully. The manufacturer has never had to create its own driver for the device.  It was created in the year 2000, and it has successfully been used with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Apple Mac OSX.

When I first plugged in the device with my new Dell XPS Studio 8000 desktop, Windows noticed the device, attempted to install drivers for it, but failed to do so successfully.

I have tried to uninstall the USB Audio device in the Device Manager, but this does not resolve the issue of the operating system not recognizing and allowing the device to work.

When I go to the Device Manager, and right-click the Uniknown USB Audio device, disable, then enable, disable and then enable, several times, I can ususally get the device to work properly, and I can use the USB DAC unit sucessfully.  But, when I re-boot the computer, the Audio device reverts back to the default RealTek Audo Driver, and my Stereo-Link USB DAC box no longer is recognized, and does not work.

I have tried all of your past solutions that you gave to a poster back on November 1st and November 2nd of this year, and stilll I cannot get the unit to work on its own.

Any other suggerstions?

Thank you.

Lee Michael Malin
*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Harmonyman,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Answers Community Forums.

·         The Code 10 error code is usually generated when Device Manager has insufficient information or the error that is popped up by the device drivers is not recognized by Device Manager.

·         Additionally, this error may occur when one of the drivers that the device needs does not start. If many drivers are being used by a particular device, it can be difficult to determine the one that failed.

·         Please see the Microsoft Website link describing error code 10 in detail from the link below,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104 Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates in Windows-based computers

The most common resolution is to update the drivers that are associated with the failing device. To do this, follow these steps:

1.     In the device's Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab.

2.     Click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard.

3.     Follow the instructions to update the driver.

This error code is also related to incompatible, outdated, or corrupted device drivers.

Update the hardware's device driver through Windows Update. To access Windows Update, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

I would suggest you to check if your Hardware component is compatible with Windows 7, which you can check here.

If the device is not compatible, you have an option to install a legacy or incompatible hardware in Windows 7, try the following steps.

1.     Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

2.     From the list of items, click any item, click Action menu and then click on “Add Legacy Hardware” and follow the instructions to install the hardware. 

Use the Compatibility tab to run the program in this version of Windows operating system, see below.

1.     Right click on the setup file, click Properties, click Compatibility tab, under compatibility mode, check mark “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and select “Windows XP (Service Pack 2)” from the drop down list. Click Apply and then click ok.

2.      Under “Privilege level”, click “Run this program as an administrator”, click apply and then click ok.

For more information please see the link below,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Hope this information helps you.

Regards,

Yaaser - Microsoft Support Engineer                                          

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yaaser:

Thank you for your suggestions, but my problem has not yet been addressed.  I tried your suggestion about trying to install a legacy or incompatible with Windows 7 piece of hardware, but at the end of the Add Hardware Wizard, it asks that I choose a certain hardware manufacturer to install a driver for my device.

Unfortunately, my USB DAC is manufatured by Stereo-Link who is not on the choice of manufacturers list.  Also, my device was designed to make use of the native Windows USB Audio drivers that come with the operating system, thus, there would be no driver to find to install for my device.  If you do not mind, could you please consult with other Microsoft Technicians about how to resolve my conflict?  I am unable to use my audio system due to this problem.  I spent over $300 on this Stereo-Link USB DAC (digital-to-analog converter).

Suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yaaser:

Thank you for your suggestions, but my problem has not yet been addressed.  I tried your suggestion about trying to install a legacy or incompatible with Windows 7 piece of hardware, but at the end of the Add Hardware Wizard, it asks that I choose a certain hardware manufacturer to install a driver for my device.

Unfortunately, my USB DAC is manufatured by Stereo-Link who is not on the choice of manufacturers list.  Also, my device was designed to make use of the native Windows USB Audio drivers that come with the operating system, thus, there would be no driver to find to install for my device.  If you do not mind, could you please consult with other Microsoft Technicians about how to resolve my conflict?  I am unable to use my audio system due to this problem.  I spent over $300 on this Stereo-Link USB DAC (digital-to-analog converter).

I last requested a further reply on November 27, 2009, and I have not yet heard back from anyone, including yourself, at Microsoft Answers.  Please reply, or else have another moderator reply to my continuing, and unresolved issue, it now being January 6, 2010.

Suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yaaser:

I last requested a further reply on November 27, 2009, and I have not yet heard back from anyone, including yourself, at Microsoft Answers.  Please reply, or else have another moderator reply to my continuing, and unresolved issue, it now being January 6, 2010.

Suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Harmonyman,

Welcome back to Microsoft Answers!

·         Are other USB devices connected to your computer working fine?

Run the fix it tool which helps in resolving problems with USB devices.

Link: Tips for solving problems with USB devices

I would even suggest you to install the latest chipset drivers for USB device and check if it helps.

Thanks and Regards:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Sorry this didn't help.

Samhrutha G:

Thanks for your suggestions, as well, but unfortunately, my USB DAC device by Stereo-Link does not have any latest chipset drivers, or for that matter, ANY DRIVERS, for their device.

It was created back in the year 2000, and it was designed to use ONLY the native drivers in Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista.

My Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium Edition operating system on my Dell XPS STUDIO 8000 desktop computer does NOT RECOGNIZE the USB DAC device, and the ONLY WAY THAT I CAN MAKE IT RECOGNIZE THE USB DAC, is to go to device drivers, and toggle the ENABLE AND DISABLE FUNCTIONS OF THE USB DEVICE THAT DOES SHOW UP IN THE DEVICE MANAGER AREA, BUT SHOWS AN ERROR SYMBOL OVER THE ICON.

By toggling the USB AUDIO icon in device manager to ENABLE & DISABLE, back and forth a few times, the error mark on the USB AUDIO icon disappears, and then Windows 7 does recognize the device, and I am able to play my music through the device, which greatly improves the quality of my music.

HOW CAN I GET WINDOWS 7 TO RECOGNIZE THE DEVICE EVERY TIME IT STARTS UP????

Thanks.

Lee Michael Malin
*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Sorry this didn't help.

Harmony Man-
I share your pain.  I too have a StereoLink device (1200), and have not been able to use it within Win 7 64.  I've emailed StereoLink support.  They acknowledged they're aware of the problem, and "are working on it".  That was 3 weeks ago.  I also posted on their blog.  I don't expect an answer.  I don't know if this is true for all Stereolink devices with Win 7, or perhaps just the older 1200 series.? 

Please let me know if you hear or uncover any solutions.  I will do likewise.

Sorry this didn't help.

Any luck with this?  I just bought a new computer and I'm having the same problem with my stereo link 1200.

I posted my issue in another spot before I saw this one.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7music/thread/241a832c-e710-4710-8acf-c81167021f76

Sorry this didn't help.

No luck with this.  It randomly works, but not often.  StereoLink folks asked me to delete all entries of their USB vender from my registry (there were lots) and I was a bit hesitant to do this, since I had basically already just done a clean install of Win 7-64, and there was no reason to suspect driver conflicts.  What I don't understand is that StereoLink has always used the windows USB driver successfully, and now all of a sudden with Win 7 64, it doesn't.  Yet with a Burr-Brown USB DAC that I borrowed from my neighbor, all works fine- everytime. 

It's a StereoLink issue with Win 7-64. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 30, 2019 Views 7,463 Applies to: