Text To Speech, Not Working

Hi, I'm having issues with my text to speech. I don't think it's ever worked since i've had my laptop. I've recently upgraded to windows 7 hoping it would fix the issue but it hasn't

When i go to the text to speech, or use any application which makes use of text-to-speech, the computer will 'show' that it's 'reading' it, but no voice comes out. ie. When i press preview, the words are highlighted as it 'should' read it, but no voice is playing. I've checked all the output settings and they seem to be correct, but i'm not sure what is wrong with it.

It causes a pain when trying to play games and needed to run text to speech to hear irc ectt

could anyone find me a solution, thanks :)
|
Answer
Answer

Hi Cythis,

Thank you for Visiting Microsoft windows7 answers Forum.

Please make following settings on your computer and see if it works.

Configure Text-to-Speech Options

Determine the Selected TTS Voice or Engine

To determine the selected Text-to-Speech voice, follow these steps:

1.       Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Speech.

On the Text-to-Speech tab, the displayed name in the Voice selection drop-down list is the currently active voice.

2.       Click Preview Voice to hear the active voice. The text is spoken and the words are highlighted as they are spoken.

Preview TTS Voice

To preview the Text-to-Speech voice, follow these steps:

On the Text-to-Speech tab, the displayed name in the Voice selection drop-down list is the active voice.

2.       Click Preview Voice to hear the currently selected voice. The text is spoken and the words are highlighted as they are spoken.

3.       During playback, Preview Voice will change to Stop. Click Stop to interrupt the voice playback.

NOTE: You can change the text to be read by the Preview Voice by highlighting the text and typing in new text. These changes are not permanent and when you reopen Speech properties or select a different voice, the text will reset to the default.

Change the TTS Voice or Engine

To change the Text-to-Speech voice or engine, follow these steps:

2.       On the Text-to-Speech tab, the name displayed in the Voice selection drop-down list is the active voice.

3.       Click the active voice inside the drop-down list, or use the arrow to display a list of available voices.

4.       Click a new voice to select it.

The newly selected voice speaks the text in Preview Voice box.

5.       Click OK or Apply to accept the new voice.

Notes:

·         A Text-to-Speech voice is closely associated with a particular speech engine. It may not be clear from the displayed name which language a voice is using. After selecting a speech engine or voice, test the voice and language by clicking Preview Voice.

·         The language or voices supported by a speech engine may not be obvious from the engine's displayed name. Refer to the specific user's guide for detailed information about the engine. This includes not only the language supported, but also the lexicon purpose. The lexicon purpose indicates whether it is a general grammar or jargon specific to a profession such as legal or medical.

·         Microsoft does not provide additional speech engines (voices), but a number of third-party products are available that support the new Microsoft Speech API. For information on these products, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/speech/evaluation/thirdparty/engines.mspx

For more information please follow the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306902

The KB article shows for windows XP and vista only but for windows7 also it remains same. (http://www.microsoft.com/speech/evaluation/thirdparty/engines.mspx)

Thanks and Regards,

Vijay    - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 29, 2021 Views 30,893 Applies to: