Ripped music is missing from Windows Media Player Library

Original title: Missing albums in Windows Media Player

Help! I keep ripping albums to windows media player which show in the players library while they are ripping but the minute I close down the player and reopen later they're gone. I still have them in 'My music' in the computers library but when I try to transfer them back to windows media player nothing happens. Up until recently any ripped albums stayed on the player but ever since the new year this same problem keeps happening. The albums are all original cd's and I haven't changed any settings. IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!

Question Info

Last updated September 4, 2019 Views 6,248 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi strawb585,

When you rip files, they are automatically added to your Player library. If the files are missing from the library, then I would suggest you to try the following steps.

·         By the way, what happens if you play those ripped files? Are the files getting added to the library when you play it?

·         Did you try searching the files in the player library?

·         Did you try re-ripping the music files to see if the issue still persists or not?

Method 1: Run Windows Media Player library troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Media-Player-Library-troubleshooter

Method 2: Re-build Windows Media Player library manually

If Windows media player library troubleshooter fails to fix the problem, then try re-building the player library manually. Follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 1: Disable the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

First of all make sure that Windows Media player is closed

a.    To start, byClick the Windows Start Menu Orb and Typeservices.msc in the search box.

b.    Then Press Enter to open the Services window.

c.    From the Services window find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.

d.    To disable it, Right-Click it and Select Stop.

e.    A small dialog box may temporarily appear while the process is being stopped.

Step 2: Delete the Library Database File

Keep the Services window open; we’ll need it again later on to re-enable this service after we first delete a few files.

a.    Click on Start and in the start search type “%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player” without quotes and press Enter.

b.    From here delete all of the files named CurrentDatabase_***.wmdb and LocalMLS_*.wmdb.

Step 3: Re-enable the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

You can now close the Explorer window and get back to theServices window.

a.    From theServices window, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service again, but this time whenRight-Clicking select start.

b.    Yet again a small dialog box will temporarily appear while the process is being enabled.

Step 4 – Refresh Your Library

Now all you have to do isopen up Windows media player and watch your library rebuild itself. Depending on the amount of songs you have and how fast your computer is this process can take from 30 seconds to 15 minutes.

Additional information:

Add items to the Windows Media Player library

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Add-items-to-the-Windows-Media-Player-library

Find items in the Windows Media Player Library

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Find-items-in-the-Windows-Media-Player-Library

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.