Problem outputting 5.1 Surround Sound via TV to a Home Cinema System (Override sound supported formats?)

Hi, I am trying to output 5.1 sound to my Home Cinema system via my TV through an optical digital out. So the video card (an Asus EAH5450) is capable of up to 7.1 output, is connected via HDMI to my TV (an LG 47LH5000) which then outputs sound via an optical digital out to my 5.1 Home Cinema system (an LG HB965TZ). I have an xbox360 connected via HDMI to the TV and the 5.1 sound comes through perfectly to the correct speakers.

The problem I think is that the computer is detecting that it is connected to the TV which tells the PC it has 2 speakers, so the Windows 7 sound configuration menu just displays stereo and dolby digital.

Is there a way to override the automatic detection of what the supported formats are and force the card to output 5.1 sound as I know it is capable of?

Thanks,
Martin

Question Info

Last updated December 12, 2019 Views 3,547 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Try to follow the instructions to apply the settings on sound card and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Sound-cards-frequently-asked-questions 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.