Problem connecting my DV camera via Firewire with Windows 7

I have just changed from an old XP to a new PC running Windows 7. I have re-installed my Pinnacle Studio 8 movie software on the PC and connected my Sharp DV camera using a firewire 1394 6 pin to 4 pin cable. The sw acknowledges that the camera is there but i get a message saying that 'Studio cannot initialise the video capture device'. The firewire does not show any errors in device manager, but I cannot see my camera listed as an imaging device. I also tried using Windows Movie Maker, but this does not acknowledge the presence of the camera as a capture device. I suspect I may need a new dirver - the Pinnacle manual references a 'Microsoft DV Camera and VCR Driver.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Who is the manufacturer of the DV Camera?
What is the model number of the Camera?

This can occur for the following reasons:

·         The DV camera is not powered on.

·         The DV camera went into standby mode. Some DV cameras will go into standby mode if the DV camera is in the record (Camera) mode with a tape in it and no video or audio is being sent to or from the camera.

To fix the problem, do one or more of the following, and then try again:

·         Verify that the DV device is connected properly to your computer with an IEEE 1394 connection or a USB 2.0 connection.

·         Verify that the DV camera is powered on and in VCR (playback) mode.

·         Switch off the DV camera and then switch it on again in VCR (playback) mode.

Check if the Camera is compatible with Windows7, here is the link to check compatibility:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

I would suggest you to go to manufacturer’s website download the latest drivers for the Camera and install.

You can also try installing the drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps, here are the steps:

Open the Program Compatibility troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under Programs, click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.

Follow the instructions in the troubleshooter.

If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc for the program and, using the troubleshooter, browse to the program's setup file, usually called Setup.exe, Install.exe, or something similar. The troubleshooter is not designed to work on programs that have an .msi file name extension.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

For more information, refer this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Import-analog-video-to-your-computer-by-using-a-DV-camera

Please respond back for the status on the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2021 Views 9,665 Applies to: