photo image thumbnail previews often not being updated

In Windows 7 I often see photo image thumbails in Windows Explorer that don't match the actual image, but an earlier version. This used to happen in Windows XP, but there I was able to rectify the problem by selecting the images and choosing a menu option to refresh the thumbnails. However I cannot see this option in Win7. I have tried the refresh icon at the top of the screen but it doesn't solve the problem.

So I might have a thumbnail for a photo which appears just as the full-size version does, but reduced. If I then edit the photo, say by cropping it and adjusting the colours, then saving it as a new image, it still has the same thumbnail as before!

I have noticed this problem seems to be random - sometimes the thumbnail appears correctly. Note that it appears correctly in the preview on the bottom toolbar (shown when the file is highlighted).

How can I force Win7 to refresh the thumbnails to the correct views? Otherwise it can be very confusing looking at new and old images together!

BTW, I am using Adobe Photoshop Elements 1 for my images. (Don't laugh.) I suspect this is part of the problem. I will replace it with a later version when I can.
Answer
Answer
I wondered why it didn't work :-) I found it manually on the website.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 30, 2023 Views 136 Applies to: