No sound via HDMI output when connecting laptop to TV

Original title: HDMI Laptop to TV - No Sound

Up until a few weeks ago it worked well:  I simply connected the HDMI cable between my laptop and TV and got both the audio and video on the TV (After selecting the right AV channel on the TV).  Now I only get the video.

I have looked through other questions on this forum but have not found anything that works.  I am reluctant to change too much, as it worked before.

In my "Playback Devices" I see two devices: "Speakers" (Default) and "SPDIF Interface".   

Laptop: Packard Bell Easy Note TJ65 Pentium Dual-Core CPU

Windows 7 Version 6.1 (Build 7600)

TV: Panasonic Plasma TX-PS42S10B (HD Ready)

Any ideas, anybody?  I feel that as I have made very few changes, the fix must be simple.  I haven't tried a different cable yet, but I'm pretty sure it's OK.

Answer
Answer

BINGO!!

(So I had to go on to JustAnswers.com & pay £28, but I got the answer straight away ... wish I had gone earlier!)

Happy to share, though, for anyone struggling with this annoying problem...

I went on to Device Manager (Start Button > right click on Computer and selectManage) and uninstalled the device calledIntel(R) High Definition Audio HDMI.  Restarted the computer.  Connected TV with HDMI cable.  Right clicked on the little speaker symbol & slected Playback Devices.  Panasonic TV shows as a device.  Right clicked on it & set as default.  I got my sound back & everything works fine. 

It seems the driver had been updated somewhere along the line and was no longer compatible.  Following this process makes the computer put back its own driver.  All this time I was looking for a newer driver, and what it wanted was the old one!

For the record, the device in Device Manager is now called High Definition Audio Device. No mention of HDMI!

By the way, if you right click on the desktop you get a wizard to set up the TV interface.

53 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2021 Views 115,396 Applies to: