No sound: Error: 1068-dependency service failed to start

error: 1068: dependency service failed to start

I have researched previous topics on fixing the audio issue. Issue of no sound started when I upgraded to windows 7 professional it knocked out the audio. After updating the driver  for realtek HD audio, I now get the following error above. The windows endpoint builder starts but the windows audio does not.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2018 Views 78,681 Applies to:
Answer

Hello breiman,

The error message indicates that the Audio service is failing to start on your computer.

You can try the below methods to fix this issue:

Method 1:

Run Audio troubleshooter that will automatically diagnose and fix any audio issues. You can refer this article to run Audio troubleshooter:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Playing-Audio-troubleshooter

Method 2:

Check the services manually.

I suggest that you check if the dependency services are started and check if you have the same issue.

a.     Click Start, type Services.msc in the Start Search box.

b.     Scroll down the list of services, right-click Windows Audio and select Start.

c.       Select Properties for Windows Audio and set its Startup Type to Automatic.

If the Windows Audio service does not start and you get the error ‘Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start, then make sure that the following services are started and their Startup Type is set to Automatic’

a.     Plug and Play

b.     Multimedia Class Scheduler

c.      Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

Method 3:
If the dependency services are not starting, you can uninstall and reinstall the Audio drivers. This will reset all the Audio components on your computer.

To uninstall a device with Device Manager:

a.     Click on start and type devmgmt.msc

b.     In Device Manager's left panel, open the node that represents. You should be able to find the Audio device under the Sound, Audio and Game controller. Uninstall and then right-click the device entry.

c.      On the shortcut menu, click Uninstall.

d.     On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.

Once you uninstall the device, install the latest drivers by downloading it from the manufacturers’ website (Realtek).

Note:Make sure that you have the source to install the Audio drivers before you install it. Also create a System restore point before uninstalling the device.

Thanks,
Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

92 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.