Microsoft Windows Media Player - Cannot burn audio CD

I cannot burn audio CD from my Windows Media Player, I do see the cd burning and as soon as it gets to 100% it ejects the cd and gives me an error message about how WMP cannot burn the cd because I need to reinstal or update drivers. How do I do this? I have Windows 7.

Thanks

Hi ScholasticaAbibu,

Thank you for posting the question. I understand that you are unable to burn CD in Windows Media Player. In order to provide you with a quick resolution, please reply to these questions:

1.       What is the complete error message?

2.       Do you have any burning software installed on the computer?

I would suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: You may run the Playing and Burning CDs, DVDs, and Bluray Discs troubleshooter & check if the issue persists.

Open the Playing and Burning CDs, DVDs, and Bluray Discs troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-playing-and-burning-cds-dvds-and-bluray-discs-troubleshooter

Method 2: I would also recommend you to reduce the burn speed and check the result. To do this, try these steps:

a.       Open Windows Media Player.

b.      Click Organize and select Options.

c.       Click Burn tab and change the burn speed to Medium.

d.      Click ok to apply the changes.

e.      Restart the Windows Media Player and try burning the disc.

Method 3: If the troubleshooter doesn’t fix the issue, you may remove and reinstall the existing drivers for CD\DVD drive. To do this, follow these steps:

a.       Click on Start, type Device Manager in the search box, Press Enter.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

b.      In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then click Uninstall.

c.       When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, click OK.

d.      Restart the computer.

e.      After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed.

You may check for an updated driver from the manufacturer and install the latest version. Refer to the below mentioned link for guidance:

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Additional information:

Burn a CD or DVD in Windows Media Player

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD-in-Windows-Media-Player

Disc burning: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disc-burning-frequently-asked-questions

Hope it helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Imran,
I tried all the links and suggestions you provided and I also uninstall the device driver but the problem still perist.
The error message that keeps popping up is:

Windows Media Player cannot burn the files. If the burner is busy wait for current task to finish. If necessary, verify that the burner is connected properly and that you have installed the latest device driver.

Do I need to buy an external CD Burner in order to burn audio CDs?

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hey guys i had that problem and i been so pissed cause i did what you all suggest but it didnt work. now i found out how to fix that **** its so easy just find and download your laptop / PC SATA AHCI Driver and it will work 110000000000000% cause this error *- Windows Media Player could not complete burning because the disc is not compatible with your drive. Try inserting a different kind of recordable media or use a disc that supports a write speed that is compatible with your drive.*- show up only when u dont have ur SATA driver

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2020 Views 4,867 Applies to: