Microphone doesn't work when headphone is plugged in (Windows 7 with Realtek HD Audio).

I am an advance user, but this got to be one of the funniest problem ever. First of all, I got 2 headsets with microphone.

1. An old brandless headphone with microphone
  2. A new A4Tech HS-100 headphone with microphone I just bought

Problem:

• Using the new headphone I just bought, when I plug in the microphone (same pink jack) it works, but when I also plug in the headphone (same headphone jack), the microphone stops working (can't receive any sound, although it is clearly detected as already plugged in) and only the headphone works

The funny thing is:

• The old headphone works fine when I plug both the microphone (pink jack) and headphone (headphone jack) into my ASUS N81V notebook.
  • When I plug in the microphone to my notebook, and plug in the headphone to my iphone, both the microphone and headphone work!
  • To experiment more, my notebook has an HDMI output connected to an external HDMI monitor, when I connect the microphone to my notebook only it works, but once I connect the headphone to the headphone jack on the external HDMI monitor, the microphone stops working again!

Things I tried and doesn't work:

• Maximizing the microphone boost
  • Separating the input jacks in the audio control panel
  • Ensuring the mic is not mute anywhere
  • Installing the newest drivers both from the manufacturer and the realtek websites

I want to get both my microphone and headphone working when plug in the notebook, what is exactly the problem? Any help? Thanks so much.

Question Info

Last updated December 14, 2019 Views 125,136 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I have similar problem with my netbook built-in microphone running Windows Starters, this is how mine get fix:

Control Panel - Sound - Recording tab - Click Configure button - Set up microphone - Microphone Setup Wizard.

You will see three choices 1. Headset Microphone 2. Desktop Microphone 3. Other. 

All I have to do to fix my netbook is to select Desktop Microphone instead of Headset Microphone (it was somehow switched).

112 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.