Media Center can't detect DVR/Set Top Box, but finds it, but can't use it because it can't detect IR hardware.__

I have been using Media Center to watch TV for at least 6 months with no problem. I recently "upgraded" my cable to include a set top box so I could watch HBO in HD.

When Media Center searches for a TV signal it can't find one. It then lets me search manually, if I choose cable and say I have a set top box it can find a signal on 3. But then it searches for a IR control cable (which I don't have) I get the message can't detect IR hardware. Then it will not let me continue and save anything.

If I use WinTV 7 from Hauppauge it can find the signal on 3 and it will work. But the picture will not fill the screen there is a 1.5 inch border on each side that stays black.

I had no such problem when I was able to connect my cable directly into my tuner. But with the set top box I get this border.

Of course my cable provider can't help. They even claim that I was not watching HDTV on my computer moniter for 6 months - since they don't support it. I kept telling her that all the local stations came through the cable as QAM and worked great.

I don't think she liked me saying that the HD picture was sharper on the direct cable than through the set top box.

I am also interested in getting a cable card tuner so I can get rid of the set top box but media center says my graphic card isn't good enough - but won't tell me what I need. It seems strange since I am watching HD right now and it works fine and has worked even better without the set top box.

Is there a way to get Media Center to work with the set top box? And what is the requirement for a graphics card to use a cable card?

Thanks

Lee

Answer
Answer
You will not get HDTV without a Digital Cable Tuner and a cable card. and you
will need a graphics card that supports HDCP and a TV/Monitor that supports it
as well.

The kit Hauppage offers is pretty much the same as the one I pointed you to.

the clear QAM availability varies by cable company. most are starting to encrypt
everything.

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 02:44:16 +0000, ColumbusLee wrote:

>The same can be done through Windows Media Center, by right clicking the video image and clicking on Zoom. But in MCE when you have a cable box, you will also need a Microsoft approved IR blaster to control the cable box. If you don?t have this part you will get the IR hardware error not found. The HVR-950Q does not come with this, but if you really want to use Media Center you can purchase a Microsoft remote control kit from our webstore here http://store.hauppauge.com/hardware2.asp?product=mce_remote "

>Since my monitor can accept DVI imput. I am wondering if I purchase a graphics card that will support DVI will I be able to get HDTV and not analog from either Windows Media Center or WinTV 7?

Barb Bowman www.digitalmediaphile.com
Barb
My Blog - http://digitalmediaphile.com/
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2018 Views 2,491 Applies to: