Windows 7 support has ended

Get Windows 10 to continue receiving support.

Upgrade now

Is Audacity compatible with Windows 7?

I''m trying to use a turntable I got for Christmas. It comes with Audacity software. I have I-Tunes on my computer now. I'm getting no sound or nothing man thru the system. Help!
Answer
Answer
Hi BruceLeonard,

Thanks for posting on Microsoft Answers!

The link below shows that the Audacity is not compatible with Windows 7 as of now.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?s=audacity&type=Software

I would recommend you to install the Audacity in compatibility mode.
Now double click Audacity the setup file to initiate the install.
1. Right click on the setup file.
2. Go to properties.
3. Click on Compatibility mode.
4. Place a check mark the box  in the box in front of  “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and from the drop down menu choose Windows XP SP2.
5. Place a check mark on "Run as an Administrator" under privileges level and click on Apply and then Ok.
6. Now double click on the setup file to initiate the install.
You can find more information about compatibility modes in the articles below:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-program-compatibility

If this option doesn’t work, you can get in touch with Software Publisher about when they will release the compatibility patch for Windows 7.

2. For sound issue, let's try the following methods.
Method 1: Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services for No Sound in windows 7
Lets try Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services for No Sound in windows 7, Visit the link below and click on green button that says "Run Now" and follow the instructions appears on the screen.
 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Playing-Audio-troubleshooter

Method 2: To update your Audio driver in device manager:  
1.   Click Start, and then click Control Panel
2.   Click System and Maintenance
3.   Underneath Device Manager, click View hardware and devices
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
4.   Expand Sound, video and game controllers
5.   Right-click your Audio controller, and click Properties
6.   Select the Driver tab
7.   Click the Update Driver button.
8.   Select Search automatically for updated driver software

Windows will now search for an update for your Audio drivers locally and on the internet, then walk you through the process of installing the driver.  If it is unable to find a driver you can go to your Sound Card manufacturer’s website and download any updated drivers.
 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Method 3: Show Disabled devices and Set speaker as default
Perform the task mentioned below to set speaker as default:
1. Go to Start and click on control Panel.
2. Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.
3. In the new windows click on the tab"Playback" and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.
4. Now check if Speaker is listed there and right click on it and choose enable.
5. Highlight that speaker and click on "Set as Default"

Please let us know if this assists you in resolving the issue or if further assistance is needed.
Hope it helps.
.ExternalClass p.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass li.ecxMsoNormal, .ExternalClass div.ecxMsoNormal {margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:10.0pt;margin-left:0in;line-height:115%;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:'Calibri','sans-serif';} .ExternalClass a:link, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlink {color:#567800;text-decoration:none;text-underline:none;text-decoration:none;text-line-through:none;} .ExternalClass a:visited, .ExternalClass span.ecxMsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;text-underline:single;} .ExternalClass p.ecxecxecxecxecxecxecxecxecxecxecxmsonormal, .ExternalClass li.ecxecxecxecxecxecxecxecxecxecxecxmsonormal, .ExternalClass div.ecxecxecxecxecxecxecxecxecxecxecxmsonormal {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:'Times New Roman','serif';} .ExternalClass span.ecxmsoDel {text-decoration:line-through;color:red;} .ExternalClass .ecxMsoChpDefault {;} .ExternalClass .ecxMsoPapDefault {margin-bottom:10.0pt;line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in;} .ExternalClass div.ecxSection1 {page:Section1;}

Thanks and Regards:
Shekhar S - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Thanks and Regards,
Shekhar Sharma

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2020 Views 14,070 Applies to: