I'm having problems with Adobe Photoshop CS4 and Windows Professiol 7 32 bit.

When I open an image from Bridge, the photoshop panel is locked on one side of the monitor.  The onle way I can get out of this is to ctrl,alt, delete.  The problem continues.  I tried to uninstall Adobe and reinstall with no luck.  I called Adobe and they think there is a problem with the security system in Windows.  Please help.
Answer
Answer
It's not a problem with Windows7, I have CS4 running fine on my 64 bit Win7 Ultimate desktop.  Did you try uninstalling Adobe Bridge (even if only temporarily) to see if ti works correctly without it?

It may possibly be an issue with the particular security software you have installed on your own PC.  My desktop runs NOD32 antivirus and Windows Defender and Firewall, but no third party security software.  However many many PCs come with third party security software preinstalled so yoiu need to check what you are running.  My desktop was a complete build by me and a clean install of Windows 7.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hey jrcjr,

This could be attributed to many factors such as conflicts among device drivers, applications, operating system settings, hardware, and corrupt elements in specific files.

Basic Troubleshooting

1. Make sure that the computer meets the minimum requirements for Photoshop.
2. Install all the Windows Updates. .
3. Re-create the Photoshop preferences file.

Re-create the Photoshop preferences file to eliminate problems that a damaged preferences file might cause.

To re-create the Photoshop preferences files:

1. Quit Photoshop.
2. Rename the Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Adobe Photoshop CS4 Settings\Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp file to Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.old.
3. Start Photoshop. Photoshop creates a new Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp file.
If the problem continues, then the Photoshop preferences files aren't the cause. To restore custom settings, quit Photoshop, then delete the new Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp file and restore the original name of the previous Adobe Photoshop CS4 Prefs.psp file.

4. Restart Windows in a modified mode

Refer this KB article for reference:

Restart Windows in a modified mode (Windows 7 and Windows Vista)
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404913.html

5. Create new local administrator account (Windows 7 and Vista)

Refer this article:

Create new local administrator account (Windows Vista)
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404912.html

If nothing helps, please contact the software vendor for futher help.

For your reference:

Troubleshoot system errors and freezes in Photoshop CS4 (Windows 7 and Vista)
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404897.html

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2018 Views 3,250 Applies to: