Q: Windows Media Center TV problem This thread is locked from future replies

I accidently published this in the xp forums so I opened it here.

Hey, I have Avermedia Hybrid Hx TV card and i'm using windows 7, I would like to use it in the windows 7 media center.

I configured the live TV but i had sevarel problems:

1. The built in IR receiver( it's a usb card with reciver on it) isn't accepted. it sais I have to conecct IR hardware although I have one. It comes with a remote control when you buy the card. At first i thought I didn't have IR so I installed some driver to skip this step and now I want to remove it and comigure my IR.

2. When i press on the live tv it buffers( with the buffering circle) for about 10 seconds and when i try to change the channel in my set top box it takes around 10-15 seconds until it changes on the screen. 

The quality is lower then the program that comes with the card and all these problams donot appear thare but i like media center more.

Another thing that i would like to know, when i configured the settings it asked my to change the channel by pressing the channel number on the remote( of the media center and not the set top box) or the keypad and I don't get how is it possible that you can change the channel on the set top box from the computer( or maybe this feature is for analog only?)

Thank you very much!

Your setup problems ("IR hardware not detected") translate to this:
You do not have a certified Media Center remote kit (IR transceiver, with IR blaster connected.)  That is how MC controls an STB.
Need a remote kit?  I'd recommend Hauppauge's kit - it's reasonably priced, reliable, and the remote has a good layout and 'feel' (it should - it's based on MS's own reference design.)

Your second issue is directly related to the first (namely, the "delay in chaging channels.")  This is caused by the fact that MC must buffer Live TV slightly, so that you can time-shift it (it is a DVR, after all.  They all do this.)
Get the remote kit, and that issue will be greatly reduced, if not eliminated.

Your third question (the part about remote setup / learning) goes back to the first - need proper remote hardware.

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,997 Last updated: March 16, 2018 Applies to: