How to make ALL the image thumbnails in Explorer show again after changing the size?

When I open a folder with images in Windows Explorer and choose the option to show medium icons, for some reason not all the thumbnails show up. In 'medium icons' they usually ll show up, in 'large icons' less thumbnails are shown, and in 'extra large icons' hardly any thumbnails show up.

These are all normal jpeg files, imported from my camera. Not edited in any way (apart from being rotated some of them), so it doesn't make any sense to me why some of them show up and others don't.

I would like Explorer to show me all the thumbnails. I tried to look for people with a similar problem, but so far I didn't find a solution. I hope anyone of you can help me out. Thanks!

|
Answer
Answer

Hi MattiasVd,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. It looks like the thumbnails doesn't work as expected.

Try these steps and check:

Method 1:

I was able to get the issue resolved on my laptop.

1. Open your Windows Explorer.
2. From the menu, Organize > Folder and Search Options
3. This will pop-up the Folder Options window.
4. Click the View tab.
5. Uncheck the following option, if it’s checked.

"Always show icons, never thumbnails"

6. Click on Apply.
7. Click on OK.

Method 2:

The thumbnail preview problems can be resolved by clearing the thumbnail database and let the system rebuild it as and when required. To do so, use these steps:

Steps to Clear the Thumbnail Cache using Disk Cleanup

a. Click Start, type “cleanmgr” (or typedisk cleanup) without quotes and press {ENTER}

b. Select the system drive letter from the drop-down.

c. Uncheck all the entries, except Thumbnails

d. Click OK, and click Delete Files to confirm.

Alternatively, you can build thumbnail cache by going to the location below

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

The thumbnail database is stored globally in Windows 7 & Windows Vista, unlike Windows XP, where the thumbnail database is stored on a per-folder basis. In Windows 7 & Windows Vista, the default thumbnail cache location is as mentioned above.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Ravinath P
Forum Moderator - Multiple Forums

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 20, 2021 Views 21,648 Applies to: