How to get rid of poor/pixelated video quality in windows 7 professional?

I recently installed windows 7 professional and I'm having a great time with it, but one major problem I'm having is with video media. I've tried multiple videos (avi files mainly) through windows media player, vlc, kmplayer, but I'm getting pretty poor results from each player. I originally had windows xp, but when I installed 7, there was a noticeable difference in video quality. The difference is, when I maximize my videos, there is a minor pixelation in quality, and I have to watch a movie in a smaller frame size to get the same quality as if it were twice as big (twice as big would have better quality on windows xp/vista).

I have a decent system
- AMD 3500 2.2 ghz
- 2 gb of ram
- 32bit Windows 7 Professional
- Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT

I also believe to have the nvidia codec so that shouldn't be a problem.

Is there any way to fix this 'pixelation' or 'poor' video quality?

All help is appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2018 Views 32,622 Applies to:
Answer
Let's try watching a video after a Clean Boot to see if a 3rd party application or codec is interfering with WMP.  Click HERE for the Clean Boot procedure, it is the same procedure as it was in Vista, so don't be alarmed.  Once you have clean booted, test with WMP and let us know the outcome.

Cheers

Jason Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

36 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.