How can I revert to silverlight 3?

Okay here's my situation. I have Win7 x64 on both my laptop and my desktop. Using my laptop, which has silvelight 3 netflix instant plays just fine. On my desktop, using the same network and settings however I have silverlight 4 and whenever I try to stream a video from netflix I get an error message N8156-6013. I called netflix and they said it was some bug with version 4 and I might need to get 3 on my desktop but I can't find any good guides on how to do this. Sent an email to MS but haven't heard back yet so thought I'd ask here

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 9,798 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

To uninstall Silverlight 4 and regress to Silverlight 3 do the following:

1. Uninstall Silverlight 4 by going to Programs and Features in Control Panel.  Right click on the Microsoft Silverlight line item and choose uninstall on the right click menu (only option.)  Restart if required; I don't believe it was but you may want to do it just to be safe.
  2. To install Silverlight 3 I went to the Netflix website and tried to watch an instant play movie.  Netflix indicates you need to install Silverlight, follow the prompts.  Netflix will install Silverlight 3 (at least it did before, maybe they have updated to Silverlight 4.)  If it does install Silverlight 4 uninstall it again; here is a link I found for Silverlight 3 on Green Button http://www.oldapps.com/silverlight.php?old silverlight=3
  3. Then, manually check for Windows updates.  Right click on the Silverlight 4 update and select Hide Update.  This will prevent the update from installing even if you have automatic updates set.

This was the condition my PC was in when I saw updates pending.  I restored the hidden update for Silverlight 4 and then did all of the updates simultaneously.  It worked for me.  I was concerned that if I kept Silverlight 3 and did the other updates even Silverlight 3 would break . . . .

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.