Headphones are default communications device, won't change to default device.

Hi,

I am having sound issues on my Compaq 610 laptop.  When I plug in my headphones, sound continues to come out of the speakers and not the headphones.   I tried going into the control panel and making sure the headphones were set as the default playback option.  "Headphones (RTC)" is set as the "default communications device" and the "Speakers/HP" is set as "default device."  It seems like a simple fix, I just need to change the headphones setting and make it the default playback, right?  But when I try to do this, it won't let me.  The option is there to make the headphones the default device, but when I click on it, it does nothing. I also tried disabling the speakers, in which case, nothing worked.  

I should also mention that when I test the headphones in the advanced properties menu, they work perfectly.  I also did a troubleshoot on playback devices in the control panel.  It comes up saying the problem is that headphones are not set as default.  I click on "Apply this fix" and it comes back saying "Not Fixed."?

I have Windows 7 and IDT High Definition Audio CODEC (already tried deleting and reinstalling the driver.)

I've seen this same issue from other people, but each thread has the same suggestions and in the end are left unsolved.  If anyone knows of anything else that I can do, please let me know.

Question Info

Last updated November 4, 2018 Views 63,364 Applies to:
Answer

Hi danfriese,

I would suggest you to check with  volume settings and check if it helps.

1. Right click on the speaker icon in taskbar and select volume control options.

2. put a check mark on "All devices currently playing sound".

3. Make sure you have "The default communication device unchecked".

4. Place a check mark on both speakers and headphones.

64 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.