HDMI missing from playback devices

Hi I have been unable to setup sound via HDMI with my RL70 and Panasonic TV. Video is working fine, and sound output through speaker port is also working

System: (full spec can be found here Acer Revo RL70 Nettop PC - Nettops | Ebuyer.com)

Revo RL70
Processor

• AMD E-450 1.65GHz
  • Hudson D1 Chipset

Memory

Hard Drive

• 640GB SATA 3 Gb/s

Graphics

After receviing it I loaded up Windows 7 64 bit as I want to use it for both XBMC and Skyping, torrenting etc and have a lot more experience with Windows rather than Linux.

After updating all windows update, I then started with drivers which I got from the Acer website (Download) as well as using the AMD Catalyst Driver automatic finder (AMD Driver Autodetect).

Everything is working fine except getting sound through the TV, e.g. video is great have adjusted overscan and all that.

The TV is a PANASONIC - VIERA TX-P42C2B 42" HD Ready Plasma TV which I have previously had a Revo 3700 running Windows 7 64 bit with no problems, e.g. sound and video running via HDMI.

In playback devices there is only 2 options showing, no sign of an option to run through HDMI to TV and I have checked the 'show disabled and unconncted devices' tab. It does show Speakers and also Digitial Output but this not seem to correspsond to the HDMI cable. If I plug in a speaker via front port of the RL70 sound is working fine.

I am beginning to run out of ideas and wondered if anyone could offer any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pete

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Method 1:

By default Windows 7 does not route sound over the HDMI output. To change this we need to change the settings in control panel.

Note: This will turn off sound from the speakers or normal audio output on the laptop. To get that back you will have to reverse this process.

- Click on the "Start" button
- Click on "Control Panel"
- With the Control Panel in "Control Panel Home" view please click on "Hardware and Sound"
- Where it says "Sound" in green letters there are three options below that are in blue click on "Manage Audio Devices"
- This will bring up a window labeled "Sound"
- On the "Playback" tab there is listed the sound options available to you. One should read "Digital Output Device (HDMI)" Click on that.
- There should now be a check mark on that option.
- The Sound should then play through your HDMI hookups to the TV.

Or do this:

Uninstall IDT audio, and then restart the computer, windows will reinstall a high definition driver and this driver will allow you to hear audio through my HDMI.

Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.‌ Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Also refer:

Tips for fixing common sound problems : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Tips-for-fixing-common-sound-problems

Open the Playing Audio troubleshooter
: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Playing-Audio-troubleshooter

Method 2:

You may try the below steps.

Step 2: First check if “HDMI Output” is selected as the default device.

Follow these steps:

a. Click Start and select Control Panel.

b. On the right hand side of the screen, under View by:, click the drop-down icon and select Large icons.

c. Click Sound.

d. If you do not have the HDMI Output listed under “Playback” tab, right click in the playback window and select Show Disabled Device and Show Disconnected Device.

e. If the HDMI Output option appears, right-click HDMI Output and select Default Device. (Make sure that the device is enabled. Right-click on the device and select Enable to enable it.)

f. Now the audio must be playing on HDMI.

I would also suggest you to update the monitor drivers. Also check for yellow or red bangs in device manager and post back the status.

Steps to open device manager:

1. Click on start button, type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

Refer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Also refer:

HDTV: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/HDTV-frequently-asked-questions

Connect your computer to a TV

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Connect-your-computer-to-a-TV

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

See page 4 of the user guide about setting up audio/video.

BTW, you should always use the drivers found on the maker's (in your case Acer) website as sometimes they are specifically tweaked to go with certain machines machine.

Cheers,

Jerry

Ohmigod I lost my star :-(((

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2023 Views 10,932 Applies to: