Q: Error:"Decoding error". Make sure you have the decoding software and try again while trying to make DVD with Flip videos in Movie Maker. This thread is locked from future replies

Original Title: Windows Movie Maker - can't make DVD with FLIP videos....

Trying to make a DVD using Flip video files.  5% into "encoding" I receive an error message saying "Decoding error" It says make sure I have decoding software and try again.  I checked and FLIP videos are supported in my Windows movie maker options.  Any ideas? Or alternative DVD makers?

You might consider installing Codecs and continue making DVD.

A codec is software that is used to compress or decompress a digital media file, such as a song or video.Windows Media Player and other programs use codecs to play and create digital media files.

A codec can consist of two components: an encoder and a decoder. The encoder performs the compression (encoding) function and the decoder performs the decompression (decoding) function. Some codecs include both of these components and some codecs only include one of them.

For example, when you rip a song from an audio CD to your computer, the Player uses theWindows Media Audio codec by default to compress the song into a compact WMA file. When you play that WMA file (or any WMA file that might be streamed from a website), the Player uses theWindows Media Audio codec to decompress the file so the music can be played through your speakers.

To know more about Codec visit the following link:

Codecs: frequently asked questions

You can search from your favorite engine and download and install the codec which is compatible with the Operating system.

Additional information on:

Burn a DVD-Video disc with Windows DVD Maker

Change Windows DVD Maker DVD-Video settings

If this does not help, post your query inWindows Live Movie Maker Forums for better assistance on this issue.

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,269 Last updated: March 15, 2018 Applies to: