Error when trying to view .png files: "windows photo viewer can't open this picture because either photo viewer doesn't support this file format or you don't have the latest updates to photo viewer"

Thumbnails for certain PNG files do not appear, all PNG files can not be viewed in Photo Viewer.

Similar but unrelated issue (occured simultaneously):
I have found that recently that for some reason all videos that are viewable by Windows Media Player no longer display their thumbnails as they had previously.

And the Windows Calculator program, the background (everything behind the buttons including the display) adopt the screen behind the window. Similar to have a screenshot against the calulator. I have to find a plain background on a website or page to minimise and maximise the calculator so the "cropped screen shot" background is working in my favour for that moment in time. When I begin to do my calculation the original display if numbers remains in the background as if burnt into the application and the numbers i press are typed over it.

What do I do?
All very strange, tried to explain as well as possible. All three problems occured at the same time so unsure if they are linked to one another or separated entirely. I began to notice the Calculator issue since mid last week, end of last week noticed certain PNGs were not viewable, last night found that all my videos (mpeg4, mp4, avi etc) that used to display thumbnails no longer do that.

Not sure, anyone have any opinions on what could be the cause or solution for this?

Many thanks,
Dev

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2019 Views 50,261 Applies to:

Hi Dev,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

From the issue descriptions, it seems that you are unable to open .png file in Windows Photo Viewer stating “Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either photo viewer doesn't support this file format or you don't have the latest updates to photo viewer”.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will help you in fixing the issue.

You may follow the steps below:

a.      Right click on .png file of the picture and select Open With and click Change Default program.

b.      Now select the Windows Photo Viewer in the list.

c.      Now put a check mar for “Always use a selected program to open this kind of file”.

You may also try opening the same picture using Paint and check if you are able to open without any issues.

Check if you don't have file extensions displayed by default, right-click on an offending image and look at the file's name.

If you have not set it as default program to open images, do this :

Change which programs Windows uses by default

A default program is the program that Windows uses when you open a particular type of file, such as a music file, an image, or a webpage. For example, if you have more than one web browser installed on your computer, you can choose one of them to be the default browser.

Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Default Programs.

In Default Programs, you can:

·         Set your default programs. Use this option to choose which programs you want Windows to use by default. If you want to use your Windows Live Photo Gallery or Photo Gallery to open all photos, use this option.

Refer to this link:

Change which programs Windows uses by default:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-which-programs-Windows-uses-by-default

I hope the above information helps you.

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

In future if you come across any issues regarding Windows, please feel free to post your query here on Microsoft Community, we will be more than happy to assist you.

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Dev,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

From the issue descriptions, it seems that you are unable to open .png file in Windows Photo Viewer stating “Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either photo viewer doesn't support this file format or you don't have the latest updates to photo viewer”.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will help you in fixing the issue.

You may follow the steps below:

a.      Right click on .png file of the picture and select Open With and click Change Default program.

b.      Now select the Windows Photo Viewer in the list.

c.      Now put a check mar for “Always use a selected program to open this kind of file”.

You may also try opening the same picture using Paint and check if you are able to open without any issues.

Check if you don't have file extensions displayed by default, right-click on an offending image and look at the file's name.

If you have not set it as default program to open images, do this :

Change which programs Windows uses by default

A default program is the program that Windows uses when you open a particular type of file, such as a music file, an image, or a webpage. For example, if you have more than one web browser installed on your computer, you can choose one of them to be the default browser.

Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Default Programs.

In Default Programs, you can:

·         Set your default programs. Use this option to choose which programs you want Windows to use by default. If you want to use your Windows Live Photo Gallery or Photo Gallery to open all photos, use this option.

Refer to this link:

Change which programs Windows uses by default:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-which-programs-Windows-uses-by-default

I hope the above information helps you.

In future if you come across any issues regarding Windows, please feel free to post your query here on Microsoft Community, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Hi there,

Thank you for your response.

I tested the file "open with" method however no result. The file still pulls up the error stated in the initial issue. The offending image is called "81902538" and when opened in Photoshop shows the file accurately, when saving the file as a new PNG (to replace the existing) the error still shows up. Also with PNGs which I am able to view the thumbnails for, they do not work. Previously they did.

My images normally default open in Photoshop if they are PNG or TGA. Other file formats automatically open in Windows Picture Viewer. I found that an image saved as PNG, when edited and saved as JPG was viewable in Picture Viewer.

Also I apologise for the other issues listing with this main concern however they all occured at the same time so unsure what the problem could have been. The thumbnails for all videos missing and thumbnails for certain pngs missing.

Videos used to default open in VLC media player (for compatibility purposes) but some videos such as AVIs default opened with Media Player. The videos work but no thumbnails.
PNGS most have thumbnails not some dont, and none open in Picture Viewer.

Are there any other options for me? Changing default programs the files open with has been tested but unfortunately did not solve my problem.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dev,

Thank you for your reply.

I would suggest you to install if there are any pending Updates and check if it helps to fix the issue.

Install Windows updates in Windows 7:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows7/install-windows-updates

Sorry this didn't help.

I have recently started receiving every error listed in the thread starter post within the past twenty-four hours. This may be a necro-bump of sorts, but this is the first result on Google for the specified problems and DEV5R lists them to a T.

Yesterday (Sunday, March 31 2013 at the time of writing), I was using my computer as normal and unfortunately fell asleep in my chair at around eleven in the morning. I had set Windows Update to, well, update before I dozed, and when I awoke a few hours later, the computer had restarted and the updates had apparently installed correctly. What caught my eye at this point was that Windows Aero had been disabled with no reason as to why- my graphics card was hardly under any sort of load as nothing was running and the drivers were working fine. I thought nothing of it and turned my computer off before leaving the house for Easter Sunday dinner.

Upon arriving back a few hours later and turning the computer on, Windows Aero still failed to initialize, and Windows (in this case, Windows 7 Home Premium x64) refused to change from the default light blur, non-transparent color scheme. Additionally, it was at this point I began to encounter the symptoms listed by DEV5R, including .png file errors and the calculator glitch.

On my computer, rather than the OP's "Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer blah blah blah," I instead receive the "Windows Photo Viewer [...] this file may be damaged, corrupted or too large" error message. Additionally, all .png files do not show proper thumbnails. The calculator glitch works exactly how it's described as well.

I was able to fix these by rolling back to a System Restore Point from two days ago, before I installed the updates. This is incredibly annoying, as I was in the midst of installing a new graphics card, and anyone who uses AMD/ATi GPUs know how much of a pain it is to work with their drivers. OP, have you tried simply doing a system restore to an earlier point and installing Windows Updates one by one until you find the one that breaks it?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,

[sorry to all that have read this post but found no responses from me recently]

I SHOULD have done a system rollback but ended up reinstalling windows and in the process accidentally deleting some of my files. I was unsure what to do and in the past if an issue like this occurred, reinstalling was always the suggested mode of repair from others.

Computer running as normal now however it would have been nice if i was able to retain all original files and settings and still being able to repair the fault. No matter.

Thank you for taking time to post here!

Kind regards and take care,
Dev

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Any suggestions on alternatives to rolling back or reinstalling Windows? I am having same problems (issue with png thumbnails not showing and error opening them with Windows picture viewer even though can open in Paint, plus transparent background on Calculator). Also, can no longer enable Aero.

Rolling back is a problem because I don't know exactly when this started plus I have spent past 6-8 weeks getting everything set up and running with an InfiniTV PCI tuner - we now rely solely on this PC for recording and watching TV. 

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nate

Sorry this didn't help.

Any suggestions on alternatives to rolling back or reinstalling Windows? I am having same problems (issue with png thumbnails not showing and error opening them with Windows picture viewer even though can open in Paint, plus transparent background on Calculator). Also, can no longer enable Aero.

Rolling back is a problem because I don't know exactly when this started plus I have spent past 6-8 weeks getting everything set up and running with an InfiniTV PCI tuner - we now rely solely on this PC for recording and watching TV. 

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nate
Hi Nate,

Sorry for the late response.

Unfortunately I do not see an alternative. I would recommend a system rollback because it will preserve the files you have but slightly modify the applications (not too much of a big deal if all your files are maintained right?).

The only route from my research and asking here is either a reformat or rollback.

I really hope you managed to fix this problem prior to this message.

Kind regards,
Dev

Sorry this didn't help.

Mr. Mahesh Babu G:

That's a lie!

========

For unknown reason bug, sloppiness, incompetence or incompetence in Microsoft top management

Windows Photo Viewer from Windows Hero (10) has stop replay all picture formats, except *.tif and *.tiff.

You CAN CHANGE NOTHING!!!!!

Look below:

Because is simple not possible as long Microsoft do not publish a hotfix.

Only if you upgrade Windows 8 to Windows Hero, those associations appear as you expect.

Picture below:

I completely decline to use program "Photos". Is primitive, work wrong have no more features that I need, maybe good for a gadget, but NEVER for a desktop.

Obviously other people are disappointed too.

·

Sorry this didn't help.