Don't have media player.

Original Title:

Running windows 7 64 bit

Don't have media player. Can't see a reason why not as it's supposed to come with WMP installed. Can't seem to download WMP either although one window suggested that v11 is not eligible for my version but then wouldn't download the version it did finally recommend

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 87 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

WMP is included in all Windows 7 Editions but is not turned on [made ready for use] for Pro / Ultimate Editions.  I assume you must have one of these Editions.

In all Editions it is the same WMP version 12.  WMP11 is not compatible with Windows 7.  The following two procedures apply to all Windows 7 Editions and are not destructive - nothing is installed or uninstalled.

1  To enable WMP12 in any Windows 7 Edition:- Control Panel, [View by - Small icons, if necessary], Programs and Features, [left-hand side] Turn Windows features on or off, Media Features, set the Windows Media Player checkbox, Yes, OK, Restart the PC.  It is now available for use [and will remain so despite reboots etc].

2  Conversely, if you ever wanted to disable it:- Control Panel, [View by - Small icons, if necessary], Programs and Features, [left-hand side] Turn Windows features on or off, Media Features, clear the Windows Media Player checkbox, Yes, OK, Restart the PC

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The above applies to normal versions of Windows 7.  If you have one of the special regional N/K/KN versions then use this link WMP for N-K-KN editions - download Media Feature Pack - Microsoft Download Center  [this download does not work for normal versions i.e. ones that shipped with WMP already included].

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.