Cannot output 5.1 audio on HDMI after installing Windows 7

Hi All,

I have HP Pavilion dv7 1270us , which came with Windows Vista x64. I've managed to watch DVD Movies and Blu-ray discs through the HDMI-output, having multichannel audio as well (5.1)

I thought that it was time for a Windows upgrade. Last week I've purchased a copy of Windows 7 Professional, formatted my hard drive and installed my new Windows. After that I browsed HP's driver page to download my missing drivers.

Everything looks good now, except the fact that I cannot output multichannel audio to my amplifier now.

Firstly, I thought that this could be a codec issue, but it isn't. This is what I've found in my Sound settings - Windows says that my HDMI supports only 2 channels:

I saw that a lot of people are having this issue, but I couldn't find proper solution. I saw that the driver for the HDMI device is from Microsoft. Somewhere I read that currently Windows 7 supports only 2 channels for HDMI - is this true?

Please help!

Question Info

Last updated June 29, 2018 Views 11,390 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I reinstalled the nVidia graphics driver and guess what - it did the trick! During the installation process I saw that both nVidia Graphic Driver and nVidia HD Audio will be installed. After that I restarted, set some settings and my 5.1 works like a charm now!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.