Can I convert Movie Maker files to Windows Live Movie Maker?

Help!  I just spent 1 week editing a video for my daughter's 2nd birthday coming up on Sunday.  I was running Vista and using Windows Movie Maker.  My computer kept crashing when I went to publish the file so I thought I would try purchasing Windows 7 to see if I could publish this 29 minute video.  I even took out all the transitions and it doesn't have any music.  Now, after spending all day installing Windows 7, I find out Movie Maker isn't included and all my work is in a file I can't retrieve.  If I purchase WIndows Live Movie Maker, will it convert my .MSWMM file?
|
Answer
Answer
i have a similar issue: my old pc, with XP (not Vista, as above) as the OS, "died" -- so i got a new 2010-model window7 pc.  now when i try to open the "old" .mswmm files with the live MM, i just get the "unreadable" error message (code: 0x80070057):  so all my old video project files from 2006-2010 are no longer readable from live MM on my new windows7 pc.  what a pain!  i will keep searchin 4 a bug-fix and post an update if + when i find it ...

===================================
In many if not most instances....mswmm files are not
compatible with Live Movie Maker because it does not
include all the options of previous versions.

Also...unless you have copies of all the source files
(video clips, photos, music files)...the .mswmm project
files would be useless anyway.

Two possibilities:

1) Open the .mswmm files in the version of Movie Maker
that created them and Publish (Save) them in the WMV
or DV-AVI video format.

These video files should be compatible with any media
player and could be opened in Windows Live Movie Maker
as video clips for use in new projects.

2) If you have copies of all the source files (video clips,
photos, music files)...you could install an earlier version
of Movie Maker on your Windows 7 machine that may be
compatible with your .mswmm project files.

See the following links:

5 Versions of Windows Movie Maker Running On Windows 7
http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/video/articles/25282.aspx

Windows 7 - Editing with XP's Movie Maker 2.1... but in Windows 7
http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/video/articles/28935.aspx

No guarantees but the following download for an installable
version of Vista Movie Maker 6 may be worth a try

*Proceed At Your Own Risk*

(FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System
Restore point before installing software or updates)

Windows Movie Maker Installer for Windows 7
http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=video#wmminst

Also Movie Maker 2.6 will run on Windows 7:

Windows Movie Maker 2.6
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d6ba5972-328e-4df7-8f9d-068fc0f80cfc&displaylang=en

Good luck...

Volunteer J - MS-MVP - Digital Media Experience - Notice_This is not tech support_I am a volunteer - Solutions that work for me may not work for you - ***Proceed at your own risk***
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi twodkmin,

a. Windows Movie Maker isn’t included in Windows 7. However, you can still turn your videos and photos into movies in Windows 7 by installing a video editing program from another company or by installing the new version of Movie Maker—named Windows Live Movie Maker.

b. Windows Live Movie Maker is part of Windows Live Essentials and might already be installed on your computer.
c. To see if Windows Live Movie Maker is already installed, click the Start button, type Windows Live Movie Maker, and see if it appears in the list of results. If it doesn't, you can download and install it for free from the Windows Live Movie Maker website:
http://download.live.com/moviemaker

Access the below link for detailed information:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/looking-for-windows-movie-maker

d. When you open a Windows Movie Maker project file (.mswmm) in Windows Live Movie Maker, your videos, photos, and music should appear on the storyboard without any problems (as long as the original video files, music files, and photos are in the same location on your computer as they were when the project file was last saved in Windows Movie Maker). Any title animations, transitions, and effects should play when you open the project in Windows Live Movie Maker as long as there is an equivalent title animation, transition, or effect in Windows Live Movie Maker.

e. If there isn't an equivalent transition, title animation, or effect, here's how these different items appear in Windows Live Movie Maker:

•Any titles you added will still appear in Windows Live Movie Maker. However, if there isn't an equivalent title animation in Windows Live Movie Maker, the title will appear as a static title with no animation. If you want, you can apply a text effect to the title in Windows Live Movie Maker.

•If the equivalent effect isn't available in Windows Live Movie Maker, the effect won't be applied to the photos or videos. For example, the Speed up effect isn't available in Windows Live Movie Maker. So if you added this effect in Windows Movie Maker, it won't be applied in Windows Live Movie Maker, and the video will play at regular speed instead.

•If the equivalent transition isn't available in Windows Live Movie Maker, the transition won't play between the two items. However, you can apply a different transition if you want in Windows Live Movie Maker.

To use old Windows Movie Maker projects in Windows Live Movie Maker

To open a Windows Movie Maker project file

1. Click the Movie Maker button, and then click Open project.

2. Open the folder that contains the Windows Movie Maker project file (.mswmm), and then click Open.

When you open the project in Windows Live Movie Maker, you can then save it as a Windows Live Movie Maker project file (.wlmp) so the original Windows Movie Maker project isn't changed.

Regards,
Manasa P – Microsoft Support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 28, 2020 Views 65,821 Applies to: