C++ Runtime Error For Windows Media Player 12

Everytime I play a show or music using Windows Media Player, it works fine til the end of the show/song. Then when it changes song I get this message,

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\ProgramFiles\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

From looking at various solutions, I have run registry cleaners, performed a system restore, uninstalled and reinstalled windows media player. Nothing has worked so far and the message continually pops up and stops the player from working. This has started to occur in the past 2 days. Any help would be appreciated!

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2019 Views 3,133 Applies to:

Hi Dp1989,

You may try these steps.

Step 1

Remove third party codec and plu-in installed on your computer and then check if the issue persists.

A.   Open windows media player.

B.   Press Alt key to get the menu.

C.   Click “Tools” >> “plug-ins” >> “options”

D.   Uninstall third party plug-in if any.

E.    Select the plug-in and click on “remove”

Step 2

Put your computer in clean boot.

a)      Click Start, typemsconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start theSystem Configuration Utility.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

b)      On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

c)      On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

d)      Click OK, and then click Restart.

Note: Make sure you put the computer back to Normal Startup once troubleshooting is completed.

Refer:How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Bindu R - Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.