Brand new netbook, Windows 7 won't play my DVDs

Okay, I just got a brand new Dell Mini 10 with Windows 7, and Windows Media Player will not play any dvds. Now, it's an external USB dvd drive (also brand new), and it worked just fine when we plugged it into an XP machine. Media player first told me that I didn't have the proper codec software. Well, I downloaded it, and it will won't play. So, I downloaded a freeware dvd player (Power DVD Player) and that wouldn not play either. I went back to Media player and I got the same error message to adjust my Windows display settings to a lower screen resolution. Did that. Still same error message. I chose the web help option and was redirected to a microsoft site that said there was no information for this error at this time.

What do I need to do to get any player to work?

Question Info

Last updated June 28, 2018 Views 181,371 Applies to:
Answer

All you need to do to fix this is download and install one of the many Windows Codec packs.  I installed one on my wife's netbook and videos and DVDs now run fine in Windows Media Player.  (There are other, maybe better, video players that will also work, but keeping things simple with as few additional applications as possible is best for my wife's computing.)  I think this is the pack I installed:

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Essentials-Media-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10662709.html

Don't be fooled by the "approved" answer - this is a Microsoft forum, and of course they're going to favor the answer that involves you sending them more money. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.