Windows DVD Maker

I have a Sony DVD camcorder (mini disc) and Sony Vegas Movie Studio 6 software.  Since getting a new laptop with Windows 7 I've been having problems with Vegas Movie Studio (I think it may not be fully compatible with Windows 7).....but it does manage to render my videos to a recognisable format (mpg) so i turned to Windows DVD maker, which looks like a great and simple program to use initially....but like many messages on this forum I too had a problem during the burn process - mine only gets to approx. 4% and then comes up with an error message (but the error message displays no detail).  What can I do?  Is there an alternative?  Can I burn a mini disc onto a DVD-R for example? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2018 Views 1,014 Applies to:
Answer

Hi JuandRin,

If you have any third party codecs or third party burning software installed, that would be interfering with the burning process. Uninstall the codecs and the third party burning software and try burning. Does that solve the issue?

In addition, I’d suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check if that fixes the burning issues with DVD Maker:

·         Verify that the DVD burner is connected properly to your computer and powered on, and that any necessary software drivers for the DVD burner are installed. You can check your hardware settings in the Device Manager by doing the following:

1.       Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.‌ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.       Click the arrow next to DVD/CD-ROM drives.

3.       Verify that your CD or DVD burner is listed and installed properly.

·         Verify that you're using a new, blank recordable DVD.

·         Make sure the video file that you're trying to burn is not corrupted. One quick test is to open the video file in a media player that can play that type of file, and then see if it plays properly.

·         Choose a slower burning speed for your DVD burner by doing the following:

1.       In Windows DVD Maker, return to the Add pictures and video to the DVD page, and then click Options.

2.       In the DVD burner speed list, select Medium or Slow, and then click OK.

Refer the link below for more info on troubleshooting Windows DVD Maker:

Troubleshoot problems with creating a DVD-Video using Windows DVD Maker
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Troubleshoot-problems-with-creating-a-DVD-Video-using-Windows-DVD-Maker

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.