Question

Q: Windows Media Player error when trying to play DVDs: Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because it is not possible to turn on analog copy protection on the output display. Try installing an updated driver for your video card

DVD movies won’t play on my Windows 7 computer

Hello,

I’m trying to watch DVD videos on my Windows 7 computer and my video application does not work as it did on Vista. I also tried using Windows Media Player but I get an error message “Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because it is not possible to turn on analog copy protection on the output display. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.” I checked for updates for the video card and for my applications, but their all up to date. What else could be causing the problem?

Thanks,
Christi

Answer

A:

Hello Christi,

This issue can occur in certain scenarios where you have multiple monitors connected to your computer, the monitors have different capabilities and you configured the displays in duplicate (clone) mode.

This issue can be triggered if a particular resolution is requested by an application and that resolution is not possible on both the displays. Other display capabilities such as support for interlaced (1080i) by only 1 display can also cause the issue. To work around this issue try one of options below:

·         Open the Advanced section of the Display Control panel and select an interlaced or progress resolution that is supported by both displays

·         Activate only 1 of the 2 displays. You can easily do this be pressing and holding the Windows key and then tapping on the ‘p’ key.

·         Activate both monitors in extended mode. You can easily do this be pressing and holding the Windows key and then tapping on the ‘p’ key.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 10,647 Last updated: June 1, 2018 Applies to: