Sorting photos by dragging within a folder

I'm in shock ! I loaded Windows 7 before going on vacation and now that I'm back, I wanted to sort my trip's 1000+ videos/pictures like I always did by dragging them around within a folder and then renaming them once in the desired order. This is step one before producing a slideshow or video and even the most amateur users know that .

It does not work in Windows 7 ?

It is mind-boggling that I then read in your forum that this CRITICAL user feature was removed "BY DESIGN" . Tell me there is a way to do it ! If not, this is as stupid as removing cut & paste . Whoever did this "by design" should be fired and quickly before he does other stupid things like that. I'm sorry about venting my frustration like this but this is unbelievable. It means I have to re-format and reload XP or Vista back in order to be able to efficiently do my video/slideshow because of such a key feature missing in Windows 7.

Please HELP by suggesting another way of doing it efficiently like before . If no other solution (and I am afraid this is the case from what I have read in your forum) , then please add this URGENTLY at the top of your FIX list.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2018 Views 887 Applies to:
Answer

Sorry for my poor expression.

By design not possible to simply move files within the same folder, since the files already exists in the same folder and it is automatically arranged by name and you cannot remove the option to view by names.  Hence it will be arranged alphabetically and numerically.

I found a work around:
1.Open the folder containing the images
2.Next select all the files you want to rename
3.Then right-click image from the top and click Rename.
4.Type the new name, and then press ENTER.
First file will be named Sunset(1) and the rest will be renamed in the following sequence Sunset (2), Sunset (3), etc.
Works in both Windows 7 and Vista...

for your reference:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/dca1878d-cffc-4a08-a695-a0b0c5c9c0f1/ 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.