Windows Update causes random bluescreen with Internet Explorer 11, KB2670838, KB2834140 and KB2836502 on Sony VPCCB2C5E with hybrid graphics

Windows Update pushed Internet Explorer 11 as an 'important' update to my Sony VPCCB2C5E laptop. This laptop has the hybrid AMD / Intel graphics drivers and suffers from the well documented and complained about issue of bluescreens with the KB2670838 platform update for Windows 7 SP1 which was a prerequisite for IE10. IE10 and KB2670838 had been withdrawn from the Windows Update offerings for my machine.

In a spirit of optimism I applied the IE11 update thinking that a fix for the graphics issue must have been produced. Sadly not, as although two hotfixes (KB2834140 and KB2836502) were also pushed and installed the machine became unstable and crashed randomly and frequently with the signatures documented under KB2670838.

Having wasted time removing these updates can I ask Microsoft to go back to the drawing board and do some further testing and produce a real fix for platform update? In the meantime is there a work round I could try?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

I understand that your system goes to blue screen after installing Windows updates. You may give a try to these steps to diagnose and fix the issue.

Method:

To resolve the Blue screen issues you can restore your system to a previous working state. Refer to the section Undo recent changes using System Restore in the following link:

Follow the further steps as provided in the above link.

System Restore disclaimer: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

Also, Make sure you have the latest driver for the device installed.

You may also refer to the Support for VPCCB2C5E

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCCB2C5E/updates

Post back with your results for further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Harkanwar

Thank you very much for your response.

I have had no problems removing IE11 and KB2670838, KB2834140 and KB2836502 (see my last para in the OP). I already have the latest graphics drivers available for Windows 7 from Sony installed on my laptop.

The issue is that KB2834140 and KB2836502 do not fix the issue introduced by the platform update KB2670838 on the VPCCB2C5E with the not very late 'latest' graphics drivers issued by Sony. This means that I am stuck with IE9 and a hardware / OS combination that Sony, AMD and Microsoft appear to have abandoned.

As there has been deafening silience on the issue from both Sony and AMD, I assume that they think this is an issue that Microsoft has created in its implementation of IE10 and 11 on Windows 7. If that is the case I am not sure how else I can encourage Microsoft to address the issue other than posting here.

I, also, hoped that perhaps I had missed something but your response suggests that I haven't and there is nothing I can do other than hope that somebody at Microsoft reads this and the error reporting from my machine.

Thanks

Francis

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Let us try to upgrade back to IE 11 and install the recommended updates and check. If you still receive BSOD error I would recommend you to upload the minidump files in response to my private message. This will help us to access the issue better.

Thank you!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Francis,

After going through the dump files that you have uploaded. The issue is caused due to igdpmd64.sys.

Some portable computers that have a combination of Intel and AMD video cards in a hybrid configuration have drivers that are incompatible with this platform update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

igdpmd64.sys is the Intel Graphics Kernel Mode Driver. I would recommend you to uninstall the Intel drivers from the device manager and reinstall them back from the manufactures website.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Wasim

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to analyse the dump files. I am afraid that your conclusion doesn't surprise me as this is documented in KB2670838.

Here is an extract relating to the documented 'Incompatibility issues with certain computers that have hybrid video cards' which identifies my device as having no compatible drivers:

Collapse this tableExpand this table
System Graphics Hardware Latest Compatible Drivers
Sony VPCCA1x
Sony VPCCA2x
Sony VPCCA3x
Sony VPCCA4x
Sony VPCCB1x
Sony VPCCB2x
Sony VPCCB3x
Sony VPCCB4x
AMD Radeon HD 6630M None
Sony VPCJ2x AMD Radeon HD 6470M None

Note For computers that are marked as "None" in the latest compatible drivers, Microsoft is currently working with AMD to find the cause of the problem and determine the appropriate fix. If you have installed the platform update for Windows 7 on this computer and you experience the incompatibility issue, we recommend that you uninstall update 2670838 temporarily.

To uninstall update 2670838, follow these steps:

etc.......

The reason I have started this thread is that IE11 was pushed to my laptop by Windows Update along with the other updates which presumably were intended to fix the issue. This combination of 'fixes' clearly does not work on my Sony VPCCB2C5E.

I do not believe there is a solution to the issue by uninstalling the Intel driver and reinstalling a 'native' version owing to the hybrid configuration. If this was the case, I am sure someone would have documented it before now - this issue has been running since IE10 was released after all.

The further frustration is that it is not clear who 'owns' this issue and what if anything they are doing about it. KB2670838 suggest that Microsoft is working with AMD to resolve it but my experience of applying the recent updates is that further work is required.

Could I ask you please to forward this issue to whoever is responsible in Microsoft and if possible report back here on whether there is likely to be a resolution? It appears to me that Microsoft, AMD and Sony have just abandoned the problem (and their customers). It would also be helpful if Windows Update did not push incompatible updates.

What do you recommend as the most elegant method of reversing to the stable configuration with IE9 - system restore or uninstalling the updates by the way?

Kind regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Francis, I will make sure that the feedback is cascaded to the right department.

For reverting to the stable configuration I would recommend you to uninstall IE updates from the control panel and hide the updates, otherwise if you have Windows Updates settings set to automatic they will again install automatically.

-Regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My First post ever to MS in 16 years of giving IT support. (Sorry if it's long)

Hi I have the exact same issue regarding a Lenovo G570 machine with Hybrid ATI & Intel graphics (so you can add it to the list). I have unfortunately updated the bios to the latest version and now cant set the GPU to run as ATI only to prevent the issue. I only have the option in bios to "downgrade" to Intel GPU usage only. My bad for not making a bios backup and Lenovo's bad for not having previous versions of bios on support site. This renders the purpose of buying a notebook with on-board ATI GPU useless!!!

Here is my question is it possible to do some registry edit or something to prevent update KB2670838 from installing. I remove it and I know IE 10 also uses it but don't really care I will settle for Chrome or Firefox since MS has recently gone from a Brand I would pay for to a brand I try to replace where ever I can. ( IE 11 is still a big mess, so much for your updates!!!) Back to the question... I can't find any way or maybe I am missing it somewhere that I can prevent the update from installing like in the good old days without preventing other updates to install (win 7 Home basic 64 bit). Unless I have my client (Barely a user) manually install updates. That will result in a GIANT mess and billing on my side that my client will not be happy about.

Please help and please get some people in charge that starts to care about their market. I am all for Office 365 and understand software as a service but seriously no more SBS Server anymore?! MS product pricing through the roof?! Your "Valued" clients being forced to be your beta testers?! No wonder my business clients are considering Piracy or Linux as an alternative...

Please advise...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Dell with the same AMD GRAPHICS DRIVERS.....had the same problem.  Here is what the result of long days trying here...

1. I paid Microsoft $149.00 for a year of support

2. windows was uninstalled and reinstalled to get all the updates in correct order

3. AMD was changed to (AMD Radeon 7450) and Intel (R) HD Graphics

(please note:  this change on Graphics was done by hardware teck who finally knew what to do and

worked for 2 months now. )  No there still seems to be no work around other than this.

4.  I can now upgrade to IE 11 without the problem but there are still residual problems with IE.

DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP ANYONE but after seeing all the problems still there it might.  When the updates to 10 and 11 IE make your machine crash most assuredly you have left something out that is not being picked up on updates.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am totally convinced that Microsft does not care about issue such as this. We have had 6 desktop systems with Windows 7 out of the blue (pun intended) start to have random BSOD. Telling your customers to just restore an image or uninstall updates is not a solution. As everybody knows, having these updates are critical due to the insecurity of windows in general. It is a great waste of time and huge inconvenience, not to mention disruptive to the end user which directly affects productivity to have to wipe and restore. MS is dropping the ball, big time. No wonder so many are switching to OSX. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is ever so true and I could not have said it better myself.. I have the same issue. KB2670838 is creating havoc in my Thinkpad Edge E535 and in my HP Pavillion, both being with AMD processors.. each time i remove KB2670838 , it also remove my IE and often come up also with the blue screen of death.. charming.. I ve tried almost everything possible to sort that issue, even turning windows updates off, but forget it... each time I update my system manually, and check out which updates are there.. I notice that KB2670838 was installed again without me being aware of it.. and there again, creating havoc in my laptops

Surely microsoft is aware of that, but like you say, why should they care.... ? they have loads of customers, and could not care less about the ones that have problems because of some updates incompability with AMD processors.

I m so frustrated and fed up with this.. this is unbelievable.. I ve decided, I m switching onto  Mac.. Just ordered one.... and once i ve trasferred my files onto an external HD, I ll put both my laptops onto factory setting and out for sake on E bay..and then, i ll give mocrosoft a well deserved 2 fingers up salute. !

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2020 Views 5,657 Applies to: