Windows explorer shuts down control panel.

Original title: Internet Explorer 8 shuts down control panel.

Every time I open the Control Panel...windows explorer comes up and says it is shutting down. Then closes out the control panel and takes me back to the desktop. I have seen answers on other forums and tried them. I have done the MSCONFIG and unchecked all 3rd party items from starting. Every time I open the control panel the same thing happens, no matter what solution I try.   I can get to items in the control panel by going to the start and typing in things like add remove program...or user accounts....but I can't get them through the actual control panel.

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Please proceed with the following support steps....

-System Restore to a date and time when the computer was working successfully

-SFC /Scannow

-Create an alternate user account and verify if this issue is still occuring.

-Attempt to type "appwiz.cpl" (Verify if Programs and Features open)

-Test Ability to access Control Panel in Safe Mode

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/eb59d9f0-fba3-4084-ad59-80688bb8380f

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/ddd50d62-614c-46f0-9da1-08a4c706f04a

-Perform a Repair Installation if the issue persist.  Steps listed below....

Please proceed with performing a repair installation of the OS.  In case of a failure, please ensure that you back up your data to an external location prior to performing the repair.  Below are the steps to proceed with the repair process.

To begin the repair install, load Windows 7 and make sure you are logged in to an administrator account. Then, insert the Windows 7 DVD and run the setup.exe file from the autoplay menu:

Then click Install Now to begin the process:

Now untick the "I want to help make Windows better" box and select theGo online to get the latest updates for installation option:

The installation process will then search online for any available updates, which may take a few moments. Once complete, read through the license agreement, then tickthe accept box and clickNext:

Now click the Upgrade box to begin the repair install of Windows 7:

Windows will then re-install Windows 7 over the top of itself, and will inform you of it's progress as it does this. Your PC will restart a couple of times during this proc

Once rebooted, you are then prompted to enter the usual initial install details (such as the license key, localisation and time settings). When this is complete, the repair install has been fully performed.

Aaron
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 18, 2018 Views 1,448 Applies to: