Windows Explorer hangs on Win 7 64 bit

My machine is a Dell Inspiron NetBook, Windows Explorer hangs (not a crash)

When I first start Control Panel, the Control Panel windows says "not responding", I then get the Windows dialog asking to restart the app etc.  After the Explorer restart I can access the Control Panel functions without a problem (thankfully).  This problem is 100% repeatable after logging in.

The Windos Event Log details are as follows:

The program Explorer.EXE version 6.1.7600.16404 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: ae0

Start Time: 01ca99bb77a8fa90

Termination Time: 0

Application Path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

Report Id: 619fe1b6-05dc-11df-b48f-0024e8f2bcb4

I tried a system restore using the original as purchased Winows Bqackup image but this did not fix the problem

Thanks in advance
Paul C

Question Info

Last updated September 14, 2018 Views 38,896 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Paul Clarence,
I would suggest you to put to put the computer in a Clean Boot and see if you are getting the same error message.
1.         Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
2.         Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
3.         On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box.
4.         On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
5.         Click OK, and then click Restart.
Check if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved check which third party is causing the problem, referring the link given below?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
  after you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
1.         Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
2.         On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
3.         When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

I would also suggest you to perform online virus scan, the following link will help you to perform online virus scan.
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-my/default.htm?mkt=en-my
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistasecurity/thread/ba80504b-61f1-4d71-960f-b561798b7b42

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Thanks & Regards,
Vijay B – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Vijay B,

Thanks for the info, the problem fixed itself after performing the Clean Boot diagnostic procedures.  I assumed a Clean Boot was a BIOS boot selection so this slowed me down until I realized I had to boot normally then use msconfig.  I disabled all of the non MS stuff and the problem was fixed, I then re-enabled the non MS stuff progressively until everything was enabled again and this has somehow fixed the problem.

btw, I also ran the IE Performance Trouble Shooter because IE8 was crashing occasionally and this identified the Skype Mastermind Add-Ons as the cause of this problem.

Many thanks and best regards

Paul C

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Vijay B,

I spoke too soon, the problem returned, it only happens after a restart, not if I restart Explorer then logout and login.  I used the Clean Boot procedure to track it down to the Startup item Avast ALWIL so I guess I'll have to live with the problem and report it to Avast.  I'm using Avast 4.8.

Just one question, should I disable Windows Defender if I'm using Avast ?.  I did try disabling it but I still had the problem with Avast.

Thanks
Paul C

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also having a problem with the Windows 7 Pro 64-bit version of Windows Explorer hanging all of the time. In my case, it often happens when selecting or expanding a folder in the tree view pane. The mouse cursor turns to the spinning wheel (busy) cursor and nothing at all is displayed in the details pane. Meanwhile, the address bar has a progress bar slowly inching across it. This condition lasts a variable amount of time for no apparent reason. A folder with only a single file, or many folders and files, might take a minute or more to finally refresh and return to normal. Sometimes it doesn't take that long. Another action that triggers a hanging condition is viewing a folder's or file's Properties.

I have given up trying to figure out what's wrong with Windows Explorer. Anyway, I don't like the changes that were made to the program since the Vista version. You can't customize the toolbar, there's no Delete button on the toolbar, and on and on. My solution is to stop using Windows Explorer.

I found a very good replacement program that is free: Q-Dir. You can download it at:
http://www.softwareok.com/?Download=Q-Dir

I just downloaded the Q-Dir_Portable_x64.zip file, extracted it to a folder I created and that's it. Simple. Works great.

CAVEAT: some of the Q-Dir program features use the Windows Shell API library functions, so some hanging conditions are still an issue. For example, the folder/file Properties dialog can hang. But at least I can now navigate folders in the tree view without hanging every time I click on or expand a folder, and now I have a delete button on the toolbar.

Dave Kelly

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Dell Inspiron 15R (4GB DDR3 RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) and see the same issue described by Paul C. Could Microsoft look into it and fix this annoying bad user experience?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Vijay,

I also have the same problem in my DELL Inspiron 15R (intel i5, 4G RAM, Windows 7 64-bit Home premium).

I have followed complete clean boot by disabling all non microsoft services.

Even after that I got the same problem again and again,

And the problem is always able to reproduce.

I followed the following ways to reproduce.

1. Open google chrome browser.
2. Go to downloads.
3. Click on show in folder option for any of the downloads.
4. Then explorer hangs, but still I am able to browse in chrome. 
5. Even I tried to open task manager. That aslo hanged. 
6. There is no way to come out of this problem except ctrl+alt+del and log off.

Please look into this issue with high priority.

Regards,
Vinay

Sorry this didn't help.

I have also experienced this issue.

We have a large number of laptops, and use a Windows 7 Pro image on all of them.

This issue happens intermittently on a number of these machines.

It generally appears to happen within the first couple of boots of the OS, and then disappears, only to appear again at some point months later.

I was thinking it had something to do with SEP Live Updates, but I have now seen it when the LU process is not running.

Thoughts?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had this same problem with Win7 64 bit almost continuously.  I am not a technician but I have run all the antiviral, anti-spyware, fix-it programs I can get my hands on but Windows Explorer still hangs up for a period of minutes (as long as 8 minutes) when I try to access folders and files.  I am sick of this aggravation and am almost ready to thow the whole thing in the garbage.  I note throughout the Internet this has been a continuing problem for many users and yet Microsoft does not seem to have it figured out, even now, October 2012.  I am wondering now if Win8 will be just more of the same.  If so, I do not want to waste my money on it.  This is Windows Explorer I am referring to, NOT Internet Explorer.  I am not familiar with working on the registry and have been warned against it.  I would have a lot of admiration for Microsoft if they could fix the problem or tell me how to do it without confusing me.

Thank you.

Del Tenney in Fort Oglethorpe, GA

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with you Della.  Windows Explorer in Windows 7 is terreble on many levels. The green bar and hesitation opening folders & files, never opens up to the last place and always have to drill down in the left window while it keeps jumping to the bottom of screen, have to continually move back up to open the next level of subfolders, etc. I have not been this agrevated with Windows Exployer ever, and I stated with Windows 1.0.

Please Microsoft, provide a fix. I have turned off and/or tweaked about everything I could find in these help forums and the internet.

My company's personnel work continously in Windows Explorer all day long and this slowness adds up, it is to a point that I am looking for a 3rd party solution to Windows Explorer.

Sorry this didn't help.

This resolved my issue and many of my colleague, one or two still still hangs, spinning...

Here is the solution to Explorer.exe crashing (restarts) constantly (every few seconds) in Windows 7, Vista or Windows 8. This also happens in Safe Mode.

Start Task Manager.

End the explorer.exe task.

Start New Task and run CMD.

Type Cd\ to get to C root c:\

The cd c:\users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window\Explorer\ and hit ENTER NOTE: XXX is where you put the name of the currently logged in user account

Next, type ren thumbcache_96.db thumbcache_96.OLD

Now restart the computer or start explorer.exe from the New Task (Run) in Task Manager.

Done.

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.