windows backup parameter incorrext x80070057

I haven't been able to run windows backup for 4 months now...

I've tried everything.

virus scans,
sfc
file checks
finally down to reinstalling- upgradding windows 7 sp1 to itself -- a  complete reinstall
over the top of my existing settings...

STill same error...

I can watch it in process monitor...it goes out and creates the backup file, and it starts,

all success error codes (no permission problems in registries, log accesses ANY runing process,

cleaned out windows logs backuplod dir
cleaned out windows\system32\wbem\suppository (or re)...

nothing works.

I can create files on the destination with my user.

well, like I already said, I saw MS bakup create a subdir under than some housekkeeping
files...then stop.

I want MS to fix this damn thing...and give me a backup that's reliable and works.
and doesn't break for every reason!

Is that such a hard thing to ask ... they had it in XP, they took it out in win7...
WHY?

How do I fix this given all I've tied?

Answer
Answer

Robert -- I found a workaround that worked on my system -- I ran the backup an image backup, from the command line and did not go through the GUI...the backup ran to completion.

Just to be certain the problem had not gone away, I tried the GUI, again, and got the same error.

the command is the "wbadmin" command (from memory it was something like

wbadmin start backup -allCritical -user <mybackupuser> -password=<mypw> -backupTarget=\\Bliss\backup\MSBACKUP

Since all critical included my complete C drive, I didn't feel I needed to specify it again...  the backup was about the right size --

about 400G!....

I don't see a way to daily's or incrementals, but being able to backup at all is a fortune!... first backup since last JUNE!

One thing I noticed on another Win machine that had problems -- it would start the bckup  then fail wwith some error, but I was watching it go through the files and it failed when it got to my home dir -- where I have a network drive 'mounted' with a symlink.

Just a guess, but I think MS didn't put the smarts in to detect a network drive and ignore it -- just detect a network drive and die.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 4,887 Applies to: