Windows Backup error 0x80070020: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

I recently bought a new Windows 7 computer after my old machine's hard drive crashed.  I ran the Windows backup a couple of weeks ago without any problems.  Now that I've finished restoring my pictures, music, documents and whatnot from my old machine's backup, I try to run Windows backup, and at the very end of the process, I get an error "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.  Error code 0x80070020."

Prior to the error, it goes through all of the following steps:
Creating a shadow copy
Preparing to backup [a whole bunch of files]
Backing up files
[a lot of files are listed]
Preparing to backup
Preparing the backup target
Creating a system image
Creating a shadow copy on the target disk L:
A system image was successfully created
The backup did not complete successfully.

And that's where I get the error.  I tried immediately after rebooting, without starting anything else, and got the same error.  I haven't been able to find anything about any similar problems here or anywhere else.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2019 Views 15,208 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi GJR19,
Many programs can cause this issue to occur; the most common are antivirus programs and programs that perform real-time backups of system files.

1. I suggest that you disable the Antivirus\Firewall temporarily and then check for the issue.

Note: Please make sure that you enable the antivirus software after performing the test to keep your computer protected.

2. The error message you are getting also applies to Microsoft updates in Windows7. You may have some bad updates that need to be resolved in order to fix this issue.

Please go through the below article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883825

3. I would also suggest you to refer the below link that talks about a similar kind of issue you are experiencing and follow the steps provided by wornout99 on Monday, January 18, 2010 between 12:04 AM:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7performance/thread/a4abfd13-edcd-44e5-b658-2440672f1f90

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Manasa P – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.