Windows backup error 0x80070003

When running a backup when it gets to the end it says backup was unsuccessful

when I click to see the errors it says this:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\new  to be saved\music\user. Error:(The system cannot find the path specified. (0x80070003))

why is it trying to backup a nonexistent file and how do I fix it?  I have googled and already run an error check and system scan with no errors found.  I'm sure this is a folder that was created at one point and then I deleted it.

I just want to fix it so backup doesn't try to back it up

TIA for any advice

Question Info

Last updated April 10, 2019 Views 20,358 Applies to:
Answer

Hey labchic2000,

In order to prevent backup from failing, you can use one of the following methods to eliminate this error message during future backup operations:

Method 1:
Create the missing folder "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\new", as listed in the error message.

Method 2:
Exclude the folders from the files to back up in the Backup settings, and then include those folders in their original location. To exclude the folders in the Additional Locations and to include those folders in the original location, follow these steps:

1.    In Control Panel, open Backup and Restore.

2.    In the Backup section, click Change settings.

3.    In the Set up backup dialog box, click Next.

4.    In the What do you want to back up dialog box, click Let me choose, and then click Next.

5.    Expand Data Files, expand <var><your user name></var> Libraries, expand Additional Locations, and then click to clear the AppData folder, Contacts, and Searches check boxes.

6.    Expand Computer, expand the item for your system drive (for example, expand Local Disk (C:)), expand Users, expand <var><your user name></var>, and then click to select the AppData,Contacts, and Searches check boxes if they exist.

7.    Click Next, and then click Save settings and exit.

8.    In Backup and Restore, click Back up now to perform a new backup. The backup operation should complete without errors.

For more information, refer the below article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281

Regards,

Savan – Microsoft Support.

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.