Windows 7 wont boot - thinks my OS files are on D: drive

Recently I bought a new computer that came pre installed with Windows 7. Everything was working fine until I went to sleep and woke up to see that Windows 7 restarted itself (it normally does this after automatically installing updates) but instead of the user logon screen I get a system recovery screen.

Running the diagnostic fails to fix the problem and tells me Windows cant find any of my OS system files, and therefore can't start. Here is the exact message it gives me

Root Cause Found:

No OS files on Disk.

Repair Action: Partition System Repair

Repair Failed. Error Code 0x490

Time Taken: 327 ms

However, a few lines up it says:

Windows Directory: D:/Windows

No wonder it could not find any system files, I dont have any OS files on D: nor do I even have a D drive. I can access cmd and advanced repair settings, but I do not have a Windows 7 disk, this entire computer is brand new and I already spent several hours just setting it up and installing all my old files, is there any way I can make system repair recognize C: as my OS partition/repair the damage without having to refund the PC? I really, really need this PC for my university classes right now and all my files are on it not to mention I just spent hundreds of dollars purchasing it, any help would be really appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2020 Views 15,936 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello,

Please proceed with the following support steps in this link....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

I hope this information is beneficial.

Thank you,

Aaron
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.