Windows 7 will not back up to DVD. Error: "Insert a blank medium".

I can not get my Dell Vostro 220 running Windows 7 home premium to back up to my dvd drive.Any help would be really nice.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 982 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hey Jamblaster,

Which type of backup are you trying to perform?

Note that you can't save scheduled system image backups on CDs or DVDs.

To fix the problem, follow these suggestions:

1.    Make sure that the blank disc you're using is a writable DVD(A disc to which data can be copied. Recordable discs (CD-R, DVD-R) allow data to be written only once. Rewritable discs (CD-RW, DVD-RW) can be erased and used again.)and that it's the right disc type for your drive. Drives that are designed for a particular disc speed might not work properly if you insert a higher speed disc.

2.    Try a blank disc from a different manufacturer. Some brands of disc may not work with all disc burners.

3.    Close any open programs that might be trying to access the disc drive.

4.    Run the backup again. When the backup wizard asks for a disc, confirm that you have inserted the correct disc in the correct drive, and then close the drive door. Wait a few seconds, and then click OK.

5.    Older or out-of-date drivers can prevent you from backing up your files on a CD. To make sure that you're using the most recent driver for your CD or DVD drive, visit the support section of your drive manufacturer’s website. 

For driver updates, refer this link:

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Detailed information on Windows 7 backup:

What backup settings should I use to maximize my disk space?

Back up your files

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.