Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Explorer.exe crashes and restarts repeatedly

Hi,

Very recently, my computer began to experience some issues, suddenly and without any real indication as to what was causing them. Explorer.exe will notify me that it is not responding, before stopping, and restarting, and it does so constantly every few minutes after the machine has been on for a while.

I have done scans with Avira Antivirus, Malwarebytes, and Windows Defender, and none have encountered any cause for the issue in terms of Malware.

I'd like to provide more information on the issue, but unfortunately I am not as experienced with this type of issue as I would like to be, and I am not sure where to get the logs I need to determine the cause of the issue.

Please help and instruct me on how to fix this issue. 
Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2019 Views 1,636 Applies to:

Hi Silhouette,

From your issue description I understand that you are facing issue with automatic restart in Windows 7 computer. Please answers these question to know more detail about the issue:

1.       When exactly do you receive this error message?

2.       Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

We got some troubleshooting methods in order to resolve the issue:

Method 1: I would suggest you to disable Automatic Restart on System Failure and check for error messages. Post back with the exact error message so that we can help you better.

Steps to Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure:

a.       Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.

b.      Use the arrow keys to choose Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

Method 2:

Step 1: Boot into safe mode and see if the issue persists.

See Advanced startup options (including safe mode) for instructions on booting into safe mode with networking.

Step 2: If the issue does not occur in safe mode, boot your system in a clean boot state (in normal mode) to troubleshoot the issue.

Place the computer in a clean boot state and then check if it helps. You can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to set the computer to start as usual as mentioned in Step 3 from the KB article mentioned above.

If you need further assistance, please reply and we will be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

No, the computer as a whole is not restarting, at all. As I said, only Windows Explorer, a.k.a. Explorer.exe is having issues. It suddenly stops responding after the computer has been on for a while, and then restarts, before repeating this ad nauseam every few minutes.

There is no indication or common occurrence preceding the issue, with the minor exception that it never happens immediately after turning on the computer. I've run CCleaner a few times to see if it'd help, and I've run multiple scans for malware of all kinds.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same issue.  Though it is intermittent.  After a restart of the whole system it will disappear for a while and then Windows explorer will start crashing again.  It only started happening this week.  Was there a Windows update this week that may have started causing the issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also only recently began experiencing the issue. I wonder if it might be a recent Windows Update.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm guessing Imran gave up on this question. Really wish someone could figure this out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Silhouette,

I’m Sorry for the late reply. I didn’t give up, it’s just that was encouraging other community members to participate in the discussion.

Follow the suggestions listed below for a possible fix:

Method 1: Try performing SFC (System File Checker) scan on the computer.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2: If the above method does not help then follow steps from the article and check.

Windows Explorer may crash in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2515325

Hope it helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

Sorry this didn't help.