Windows 7 support has ended

Get Windows 10 to continue receiving support.

Upgrade now

Windows 7 starts slow and get message Failed to connect to a windows service. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service.

Original title: Windows 7 message "Failed to connect to a windows service.

Windows 7 takes ages to start up and I get following message what can I do?

"Failed to connect to a windows service. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2019 Views 3,434 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting question in Microsoft Community!

You get message windows could not connect to the system event notification service service.

The issue may happen if the system event notification service is not started or because of third party programs.

Did you make any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Method 1:

a. Click on Start

b. In the start Search box type Services and hit enter

c. Make sure that the System Event Notification Service is started and startup type set to automatic.

Method 2: Clean boot

When the computer is started in clean boot, non Microsoft programs will not be started and any interruption from them would be avoided.

Refer the site mentioned below:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135.

Note: Once you are done with clean boot, follow step 3 in the article to set your computer back to normal startup.

Note: If in case you are connected through a wireless connection then when you start the System Configuration Utility to perform clean boot, click Startup & Services tab one at time and ensure wireless related entry is Checked (Enabled).

Method 3:

Refer the site:

Optimize Windows 7 for better performance

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Optimize-Windows-7-for-better-performance

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, let us know and we would be glad to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

In a nutshell, you have corrupted your SENS Service due to bad shutting down practice, etc. Because it is corrupted, windows wont be able to connect to SENS even when the service is running. You could try the following to be able to restore your SENS to normal/default:

Go to this website:httpI h://batcmd.com/windows/7/services/sens/

Scroll down the bottom and you'll notice something like this:

Just set the type of Windows you are using and then hit download.

Once done, just run the RestoreSystemEventNotificationServiceWindows7.bat file and restart your computer.

This worked for me, I hope it does for you too.

John Chang

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.