Q: Windows 7 start menu search not working This thread is locked from future replies

Whenever I try to search in my Start Menu, I only get ghost search results which I cannot open:

In many places I have seen instructions to delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{ef87b4cb-f2ce-4785-8658-4ca6c63e38c6} key in order to fix this issue but it is not showing up in my registry:

Anyone have any suggestions? All help would be greatly appreciated!

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

This one can be solved,   or least it's solved on my computer.  .    Right click on Start and then on Properties.  On the screen that comes up, click on Customize.    Then scroll down near the bottom of that list to  "Search othe files and libraries.  Insert a radio button just on   "Search with Public Folders"  This did it for me.  Oldnerd

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

62 people were helped by this reply

Hi dimkasmir,

Your index requires virtually no maintenance. However, if the index has problems finding files that you know should be located in an indexed location, you might need to rebuild the index. This can take a long time to complete, so avoid performing this step unless you have given the index enough time (several hours) to correct any problems first. To rebuild the index:

1.      Open Indexing and Search Options by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Indexing Options.

2.      Click Advanced, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

You may also refer the below mentioned links.

Hope this information helped!

Thanks and regards,

Fouzan – Microsoft support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let 

us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

34 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 162,659 Last updated: March 19, 2018 Applies to: