Windows 7 Pro 32 bit system shows no restore points when System Restore is opened.

Original title: no restore points

This Windows 7 Pro 32 bit system shows no restore points when System Restore is opened and does not keep a manually created one after the system is restarted. The System Protection settings are set to use a maximum of 17% of a 250 GB hard drive that has 200 GB free. It is set to restore system settings and program files.

A manual restore point can be created, but upon restarting the system, that restore point dos not exist.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks

Hi Ron,

Have you made any recent software or hardware changes on the system?

Usually this issue can be caused if the maximum storage size limit is set to low for your shadow storage.

Since you have set the maximum storage limit, let’s try the following steps and check if it helps.

Method 1:

You may check in Event viewer for errors regarding what is causing the issue.

Open Event Viewer

What information appears in event logs (Event Viewer)

Let’s refer to the article and check if it helps.

System Restore points are deleted after you restart your Windows 7-based computer

Method 2:

Let’s verify the status of (Volume Shadow Service) VSS service:

a. Click “Start”, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click “Continue”.

b. Double click “Volume Shadow Copy Service” and switch to “General” tab.

c. Change the “Startup type” to “Automatic” and click “Apply”.

d. Click “Start” and click “OK”.

Method 3:

You may try deleting the unwanted files using Disk cleanup

Delete files using Disk Cleanup

Method 3:

If the issue persists, you may try performing a SFC scan on the computer which would scan for corrupt system files on the computer and replace them.

Use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope the information helps.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Praseetha

No changes recently. This has been going for months, however.

Event ID 25 was showing up in the System log.

Disk Space Usage was originally set to nothing. I had already increased it to 17% with no sucess, before I posted my inquiry. After reading the article you suggested, I increased it to 45% and a manual restore point was retained. Subsequently, I have decreased it a small amount at a time to 10% currently, and the restore point is still there. I examined another computer and found numerous restore points with Disk Space Usage set to only 2%.

What percent should this work on? This is a 250 GB drive with 200 GB free.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ron,

Since you were able to retain a manually created restore point, the issue would have been related to the disk space utilized by System Protection to create restore points.

In order to store restore points, you need at least 300 megabytes (MB) of free space on each disk that is 500 MB or larger.

For further information, refer to the article:

How much disk space does System Restore require?

If the issue persists, you may refer to the thread link and try the steps provided by Miya Yao on March 28, 2011 and check if it helps.

Volsnap - Shadow copies deleted every boot

Important: The above mentioned link contains steps to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

For more information, you may refer to the article:

Back up the registry

Note: The above mentioned link also contains steps to run check disk. While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope the information helps.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same thing happened to me last week when I upgraded to Windows 7 from XP.  In my case the problem was a fragmented pagefile.  The solution was to delete the pagefile, defrag the disk, then recreate the pagefile.

(I also deleted the hiberfil.sys to make it easier to collect more free space in big chunks.)

After this I had no more problems with disappearing restore points.

(Check your system event log for volsnap error 25 immediately after each boot.  That's another indication that you have the same problem I did.)

If you're not sure how to recreate the pagefile search the Microsoft web site for instructions.  A search on the internet will return lots of articles, but with incomplete instructions.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2020 Views 440 Applies to: