Question

Q: Windows 7 - MMC.exe application error

Hi

I cannot open COMPUTER MANAGEMENT and COMPONENT SERVICES. It gives mmc.exe - application error. I am using windows 7 64 bits. What can I dot?

Thanks in advance
Adi

Answer

A:

Hi Adi,

1)       Since when are you facing this issue?

2)       Do you recall making any changes?

3)       What is the complete error message you receive?

Method 1: If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. Run System File Checker (SFC) scan to fix any corrupt system files. To do this, follow the steps mentioned in the link below:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2:  Put the computer in clean boot and then check to see if the issue persists

Follow Step 1 in the link below,
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

If everything works fine after a clean boot, you can infer that some third party services are causing the problem.

Proceed with the remaining steps to pin-point out the third party service.

After you figure out the problem causing program, you may have to update or install a higher version of the program, if you seldom use that software you can consider uninstalling it.

Important: - Remember to put the computer back to normal startup follow step 7 in the link.

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

5 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 21,975 Last updated: July 14, 2018 Applies to: