Windows 7 error "diagnostic policy service is not running"

I get this error whenever I try to use the net diagnostic wizard.

I attempted to start the service manually from the services windows and receive another message that says

"The diagnostic policy service on local computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs." 

I attempted the registry fix suggested in this forum of adding "NT services\mpssvc" and granting full control and read permissions with no luck, the error still comes up .

I tried restoring to a previous date when the diagnostics did work and still the problem was not fixed.

Please advise before I go completely bald from pulling my hair out trying to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance

32 bit windows 7 enterprise

on an IBM think pad

1.6 GHz intel Pentium M

55  GB hard disk

1.00 GB RAM

Hi daizzd,

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 1: Remove/uninstall all the network adapters and do scan for hardware changes.

a.    Click on Start; in the start search type “Devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) and press Enter.

b.    Uninstall all the network devices you have there.

c.    Scan for hardware changes, your device will then automatically be installed over again.      

Now try running the network diagnostic service, it should start.

Step 2:How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit our   Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Removed all  network adapters and rescan for hardware changes. All adapters were reinstalled and still

the problem remains. Also tried sfc /scannow as administrator and it did not find any problems at all. I believe

the problem is most likely a system setting which may be incorrect. I don't think it is a hardware based error.

When I uninstall and reinstall the network adapter I am able to connect to the internet but

when I try to run the network diagnostics I get the error message "diagnostic policy service is not running".

I just don't know which settings to check to see if they are correct or not.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2020 Views 9,283 Applies to: