Windows 7 booting slow.

My Laptop HP dv4-t running genuine Windows 7 is taking 15 minutes to boot; how can I make it boot faster?

What anti-virus software is installed?

In Windows 7 use Ctrl+Shift+Esc rather than Ctrl+Alt+Del. It gets you to Task Manager quicker. Select Task Manager, the Performance tab, Resource Monitor, and Memory tab. What are the figures for Hardware Reserved, In Use, Modified, Standby and Free?

Is your Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit? How much RAM is installed?

Please upload copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log.

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear Gerry C J Cornell,

Thanks for your suggestion and prompt support. Please find the details below.

What anti-virus software is installed?

Avast (Free) but I have been using this for long now and never had problem in the past.

In Windows 7 use Ctrl+Shift+Esc rather than Ctrl+Alt+Del. It gets you to Task Manager quicker. Select Task Manager, the Performance tab, Resource Monitor, and Memory tab. What are the figures for Hardware Reserved, In Use, Modified, Standby and Free?

Hardware Reserved: 4 MB, In use: 1347 MB; Modified: 51 MB, Standby: 1637 MB; Free: 24 MB

Is your Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit? How much RAM is installed?

64 bit; 3 GB RAM

Please upload copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

I have uploaded System and Application logs to my Sky Drive. How do I post the link?

Looking forwared for your suggestion. It's taking more then 15 min to bood now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your system would benefit from adding RAM. You need to check your motherboard specification to see what can be done.

Access the folder on your Sky Drive and copy the web address in the address bar and paste it in a further message here.

Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share and post a link here.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for your support. Hope below information is what you're looking for. Please let me know what can be done.

Your system would benefit from adding RAM. You need to check your motherboard specification to see what can be done.

All the applications were running well, I got this problem recently. I'll also see if RAM can be upgraded.

Access the folder on your Sky Drive and copy the web address in the address bar and paste it in a further message here.

(All 3 Files : System Log, Application Log and System Info)

https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=documents&cid=f22026152878575c#cid=F22026152878575C&id=F22026152878575C!106&sc=documents

Application Log:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f22026152878575c&id=F22026152878575C!107&Bsrc=Share&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive

System Log:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f22026152878575c&id=F22026152878575C!108&Bsrc=Share&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive

Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share and post a link here.

System Info:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f22026152878575c&id=F22026152878575C!109&Bsrc=Share&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive

Sorry this didn't help.

From Run type "msconfig" and then hit Enter.
Go to the Startup Tab and see if any unwanted items are there in Startup or not.  If there is something unwanted disable it. This should help.
If you want better then download Glary Utilities Free Version.
After downloading and installing run a Malware and Registry scan from the 2nd Tab! Fix them and it will speedup your PC. And be sure to use the Registry Defrag feature too.
Scan for HDD errors using Windows default option or better from Command Prompt using the chkdsk command.
Defrag you HDD.
KSK!

Sorry this didn't help.

To identify what loads when you boot use Autoruns (freeware from Microsoft).
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

With Autoruns you can uncheck an item, which disables it from starting, or you can right click an item and then delete it. If you uncheck you can recheck to re-enable the item. It is a much safer approach than editing the Registry and better than using msconfig.

A useful feature of the programme is that you can right click an item and select Search Online to get information about the item selected.

Few contributors here would recommend Glary Utilities Free Version

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

True! With due respect I just did because it fixes registry too which is a good option. Your recommended one works fine too.
KSK!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 49 Applies to: