Windows 7 Backup System Image - Error Code 0x8078012D - fails to complete system image backup?

I seem to have a problem with Windows Backup when a scheduled image backup to an external hard drive fails to complete, although it has worked successfully before on many occasions.  Windows Backup reports an error code of 0x8078012D. 

I have run the Error Checking tool on the external drive with both the repair options switched on, but no problems discovered.  The external disk drive seems ok as I use a Norton program to back up data to the same drive without any problems.  Also Windows Backup will happily do a 'non system image' backup on the external drive.

But it will not do a stand alone system image nor one as an add on the a normal backup.

Any advice?

Thanks
David

Answer
Answer

After many tries at the solutions listed here I found a way to fix my problem. I continually got a failure basically saying the system could not create a shadow copy or that my drive had a failure. It seems with Windows 7 you have to configure some options that are not apparent to users.

1. go to control panel/system/System Protection and select your C: drive.

2. Select "configure" and make sure "Restore system settings and previous versions of files" is on.

3. Set Max Usage to at least 2%

4. Apply

5. Select your USB drive you will be using for backup and again Configure it for protection and set the file size to at least 18%.

6. apply

7. back in the control panel go to Administrative Tools, open Services.

8. Scroll down to Windows Backup and make sure it is set to Manual and not started.

9. Scroll to Volume Shadow and make sure it is also set to Manual and not started.

10. Go back to the control panel, select Backup and Restore.

11. Click "Change Settings" and select the drive you will be backing up to.

12 Run backup letting the system do it's thing and all should work.

31 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2021 Views 27,108 Applies to: