Windows 7 Backup Recovery Error 0x8100001a

Hi Anyone, I am unable to restore my Windows 7 back-up file after reinstalling Windows 7 because of an unrelated issue. I received the error 0x8100001a. After researching the issue online I've seen several solutions. First i'll start by saying i've tried the following below which I found in several locations on the internet:

The Mediaid.bin file is corrupted or lost, then use the following instructions for rebuilding it:

1.Unzip the sdutil.zip file and rename it from sdutil.ex_ tosdutil.exe
2.Copy the sdutil.exe to the root of the driver which contains the backup files
3.Open the folder Catalogs located bellow the folder BackupSet “aaaammdd” “xxxxxx”
4.Copy the file GlobalCatalog.wbcatto the root of this HD
5.Go to Start -> Execute and type CMD.exe
6. At this “DOS” window type: sdutil mediaid GlobalCatalog.wbcat [HD letter (as an example D:\)]
7.A new MediaID.bin is created
8.Try to restore the backup as usual using the advanced restore optionand next the option restore an older backup created in this machine
9.If done: it’s over!
10.If it fails: Map a network driver at your LAN
11.Copy the MediaId.bin file to the root of the previous mapped LAN driver
12.Copy the whole folder BackupSet “aaaammdd” “xxxxxx”to this same driver
13.Try to restore the backup as usual using the advanced restore optionand next the option restore backup created in another machine
14.At the next menu, point the backup folder at your LAN mapped driver and start the restore process
15.Now you shall have your backup proper restored at the right machine
16.Good Luck!

This didn't works. First on Step 3, I could not locate any Catalogs folder.I searched my computer and could not locate it. So because I couldn't locate that I couldn't proceed.

Here's Microsoft's solution:

1. Locate the root directory of the drive or the file share where the backup was originally stored.
  2. Copy the Mediaid.bin file.
  3. Locate the root directory of the location where the backup is currently stored.
  4. Paste the Mediaid.bin file.

For example, if the original backup location is drive D, and the backup was moved to drive E, copy the Mediaid.bin file that is located in the root directory of drive D to the root directory of drive E.
  5. Try to restore another backup file.

The file wasn't relocated  however the computer name was changed. So I renamed the computer back to the original name so that it matched the backup file. Still didn't work after. Also their is not Mediaid.bin visible.

My backup file is located on a second harddrive within my computer. I tried taking my Windows 7 Backup file and placing it on a Windows XP machine. It turned the Windows 7 backup into ZIP files. So I tried unzipping the files and surprisingly it restored maybe 10% of my files but the other files were broken files.

I know this is alot. I am a Graphic Designer and all of my art files among other files are located on this Win7 Backup. Please help if you can.

Thanks, CG.

CWARRIORS

Question Info

Last updated November 8, 2018 Views 2,526 Applies to:

Hi CWARRIORS,

It possible when you tried the restore earlier all the files could not be restored. I would suggest you to refer to the below link and use the steps to manually extract files from a backup and check if this helps -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Manually-extract-files-from-a-backup

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Meghmala – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for replying Meghmala,

That fix is similar to me moving the files to my Windows XP machine. When i use Windows Backup restore, I can see all of my art files when I search for files individually. However when I unzip the zip files, those art files do not show.

I searched each zip one by one to see which one contained the art files none of them contained it.

Any other suggestion??

Thanks, CG

CWARRIORS

Sorry this didn't help.

I noticed that the error states that the backup file SEKORA\Backup Set 2010-07-18 070008\Backup Files 2010-07-18 070008\Backup Files 1.zip. When I went to extract the zip files, I noticed that their was no folder with that name within the backup. It started with Backup Files 2010-07-25 070008. Does that mean part of my backup was deleted? If so how can it be recovered??

Thanks, CG

CWARRIORS

Sorry this didn't help.

yr post me me pity...
can made a video about how ?
mail me *** Email address is removed for privacy ***
thx

Sorry this didn't help.