Windows 7 Backup Error 0x80070002

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate on a Dell Inspiron laptop.  I am trying to backup my C:\Users directory to the Seagate GO drive on my network.  When I try to run the backup, it processes about 10% and then says that it failed.

Here's what I have tried so far after searching proposed solutions:

1. Scheduled Chkdsk, rebooted and let it run.  No errors were reported.

2. Checked the log file in C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup.  The log is empty.

3. Checked the Event Viewer.  Here is the entry: The backup was not successful. The error is: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002). Event ID 4104.  Clicking the Event Log Online Help returns no results.

4. Changed the backup destination to another partition on the laptop's hard drive.  Still get the error.

5. Some have suggested that the registry key in one of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList keys could be wrong.  I checked, and the values are as expected.

6. Some suggested that there could be a problem backing up a virtual machine.  I unchecked the .VirtualBox subfolder and tried again, but got the same error.

I'm starting to wonder if Windows 7 is really an improvement.  Anyone have any ideas what to do to fix this?
Answer
Answer
Here's an MS KB article:

Error code 0x80070002 when you back up files in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 25, 2019 Views 12,558 Applies to: