Windows 7 64bit hangs with memory intensive programs, 32bit does not

Previously before my old harddrive failed I was using 32bit Windows 7. When using a memory intensive program such as Photoshop I wouldnt have any problems. There would be a slowdown when doing something big/ram intensive to an image but I could still use other programs fine. Since installing Windows 7 64bit, doing the exact same things to photos in Photoshop causes the whole computer to practically freeze, impossible to use any programs. Task manager says its using 89% of the physical memory. Same happens with other programs such as AutoPano which use a lot of ram, but not a single problem when previously using 32bit windows. Is this a 64bit problem and should I reinstall and go back to using 32bit, or is there something else wrong?
AMD Phenom triple core 2.1Ghz, 3GB Ram, Windows 7 Ultimate

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 317 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
After thinking about it I realised the problems only seemed to occur after installing Windows 7 Service pack 1. Ive uninstalled it and now most of the problems have gone. Still not as fast as it used to be, but I can now run all my programs with significantly less freezing and not have to wait ages for them to open. Googling "Windows 7 Service Pack 1 performance" shows that I wasnt the only person with this problem
This can be marked as solved now

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.