windows 7 64bit explorer.exe crash user32.dll

My Asus A45VM-VX113V Windows 7 64 bit facing a random crash on explorer.exe
Below is my Log. I've done sfc /scannow but no error shown, tried create new account and see whether is account problem or not, but the problem still occur.
Hope any professional here can solve my problem. Hope to reply ASAP, because this problem are quite annoying.  Thanks in advance.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          9/20/2012 11:38:16 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      GX-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc9bb
Faulting module name: USER32.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be088
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000017e2b
Faulting process id: 0x12c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd974531a149e8
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll
Report Id: 31b9e03a-0339-11e2-b439-10bf48e039a0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-09-20T15:38:16.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1025</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>GX-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7600.16385</Data>
    <Data>4a5bc9bb</Data>
    <Data>USER32.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7600.16385</Data>
    <Data>4a5be088</Data>
    <Data>c000041d</Data>
    <Data>0000000000017e2b</Data>
    <Data>12c8</Data>
    <Data>01cd974531a149e8</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll</Data>
    <Data>31b9e03a-0339-11e2-b439-10bf48e039a0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Brandon

Here are a few things that you may have overlooked:

1. Look in the Action Center for any issues. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Action Center or right-click the icon in the Notification Area (bottom right of screen). In the main window, click the drop-down arrow to the right of Maintenance where you can select View Reliability History. In View Reliability History, right-click on any Windows Explorer errors and View technical details, which may be of help.

Also, at the bottom, click View All Problem reports and Check for Solutions.

2. If (1) above doesn’t help, the problem is sometimes caused by a third-party extension. ShellExView can be useful to see which shell extensions have been introduced into Explorer. Read about it then scroll down near to the bottom to download the x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version here http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

When you run it, click on the column labelled Company to alphabetically sequence the entries. You have to assume that the Microsoft entries are bona fide, so concentrate on the third-party entries. Is there anything listed that is either unnecessary or unknown? If so, highlight it and click the red spot (top left) to disable it. There shouldn’t be too many of them but you may find it easier to disable them all, then re-enable them (green spot) one at a time and try Explorer until the culprit is found.

3. If the above still didn’t help, download, unzip it and run Process Monitor version 3.03 (it doesn’t need installing), from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx  Because of the huge number of activities, it can be made easier to understand by de-selecting some of the activities. The activities can be toggled on/off by clicking them on the Toolbar, they are Registry, File, Networking, Processes/Threads and Profiling. Also, click Autoscroll on the Toolbar to see the current real-time events.

4. If you get the ‘Stopped working’ message when accessing Folders that contain pictures/videos, it can sometimes be cured by going to Control Panel > Classic View > Folder Options > View Tab and put a tick in ‘Always show icons, never thumbnails‘.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Also, if Asus WebStorage software is installed can you uninstall Asus WebStorage and see if the problem resolves.

Although the USER32.dll is getting the blame for the crash it is likely another possibly third party file that Is causing the issue.

Asus WebStorage has been known to cause issues with explorer.exe crashing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, i tried the 1st one. And check for solution and all of the error say "No new solution found, when solutions are available, they will be appear in action center".

As the second one, i dl and open it and saw all the company are Microsoft, and the those some third party company are Nvidia (Which is my Graphic Card's company), Avira, Atheros Communcation(My Bluetooth's Company), Elan microelectronic corp (Which is tourchpad's company), and winrar. So i dont find anything that are suspicious.

Well, for the third one, for the EXPLORER.exe there is some result that are NAME NOT FOUND, INVALID DEVICE REQUEST, NO MORE ENTRIES.

Well, for the fourth thing you mention, i still havent encounter it yet, so i dont think that will be problem for me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ya, i know that since i searched quite a lot about the explorer.exe crash case, and i have uninstall it already. but the problem still occur.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What I might suggest is to try to obtain a user-mode dump of the crash which will supply much more information on the crash and hopefully pinpoint the cause.

You can configure Windows to create user-mode dumps. Create a System Restore Point first.

If you copy and paste the following in Notepad and save as a .reg file, then right-click the .reg file and select "Merge" to add to the registry, a .dmp file at the time iexplore.exe crashes should be created in the C:\CrashDumps folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\iexplore.exe]
"DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\
00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

After Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe) crashes, can you then make the .dmp file available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

The following link has information on using Windows Live SkyDrive:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

More info on collecting user-mode dumps:

»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library···85).aspx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

huh? what i mean was explorer.exe, not internet explorer(iexplore.exe). So is the same method apply able for explorer.exe?

Now i had found that the crash occur whenever i mouse click on windows start menu. and right after the explorer.exe crash/not responding, the sidebar will also crash/not responding.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

huh? what i mean was explorer.exe, not internet explorer(iexplore.exe). So is the same method apply able for explorer.exe?

Yes, you are correct. Sorry about that.

Try the following which should create a user mode dump file for explorer.exe crashes:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]
"DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\
00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

finally got the dump file. here is the link. hope you can found something on it.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2A6D06C4C195DB51!128

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem appears to be component(s) of Internet Download Manager:

*                        Exception Analysis                                   *

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for IDMShellExt64.dll -
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for IDMNetMon64.DLL -

FAULTING_IP:
user32!ImeSetContextHandler+193
00000000`770f7e2b 07              ???

EXCEPTION_RECORD:  ffffffffffffffff -- (.exr 0xffffffffffffffff)
ExceptionAddress: 00000000770f7e2b (user32!ImeSetContextHandler+0x0000000000000193)
   ExceptionCode: c000041d
  ExceptionFlags: 00000001
NumberParameters: 0

PROCESS_NAME:  explorer.exe

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000041d - An unhandled exception was encountered during a user callback.

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000041d - An unhandled exception was encountered during a user callback.

NTGLOBALFLAG:  0

APPLICATION_VERIFIER_FLAGS:  0

CHKIMG_EXTENSION: !chkimg -lo 50 -d !user32
    770ef434-770ef435  2 bytes - user32!GetCursorPos
 [ ba 01:ff 25 ]
    770ef439-770ef43f  7 bytes - user32!GetCursorPos+5 (+0x05)
 [ 44 8d 42 68 e9 0e 16:00 c0 6b 08 f7 fe 07 ]
    770f7e20-770f7e2d  14 bytes - user32!ZwUserSetCursor (+0x89e7)
 [ 4c 8b d1 b8 1a 10 00 00:ff 25 00 00 00 00 30 6c ]
    77120980-7712098d  14 bytes - user32!GetGestureInfo (+0x28b60)
 [ 48 89 5c 24 08 48 89 6c:ff 25 00 00 00 00 20 69 ]
37 errors : !user32 (770ef434-7712098d)

This is somewhat similar to what was reported in the following thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-explorer-has-stopped-working-message/dfcd1e3f-2b23-476d-8117-f13fac950897

In that thread uninstalling Internet Download Manager appeared to stop the error.

So you could try uninstalling Internet Download Manager and see if the issue resolves.

Alternatively, if you want to keep using Internet Download Manager, you could try using ShellExView to disable the IDMShellExt64.dll.

The IDMShellExt64.dll should show up in ShellExView as "IDM Shell Extension" (Type - Icon Overlay Handler).

There is some info on that in the following link:

http://www.technixupdate.com/solved-windows-7-explorer-hangs-crashes-force-for-restart-after-installing-internet-download-manager/

In the link the file referenced is the IDMShellExt.dll (rather than the IDMShellExt64.dll) as in the link it would be a 32-bit system.

For your error the IDMNetMon64.DLL was also referenced but the issue with Explorer crashing may just be with the IDMShellExt64.dll.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, auggy. thanks a lot of your help. after i done those instruction, the problem seem to be less. anyway sometime it still will not responding but not as frequent and laggy as before.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 16, 2021 Views 7,082 Applies to: