Win7 Backup Disk Space not recognizing correct amount

New computer, Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.84Ghz, 4GB Ram, 500GB Hard Drive. Was running Vista with no problems. Just upgraded to Windows 7 and, for the most part, things seem to be going well.

I am trying to use Backup and Restore to back up the system onto a Seagate 200GB external hard drive. During the first try it seemed unresposive and I just let it run. Ultimately it said that there was not enough drive space on the back up disk to complete the back up. Under the Options button I chose to Manage Backup Disk Space and deleted the two previous backup periods. This left the Seagate drive empty.

I tried back up again and it said that the backup disk did not have enough free space to perform a backup. I closed Backup and Restore and went to Computer, highlighted the Seagate drive (E:), and formatted it hoping Win7 would recognize the correct size. It is now recognizing the Seagate drive at 186.31 GB.

Went back to Backup and Restore and created a backup, sized at 63.33 GB. The drive shows a back up for period 11/11/2009 to 11/11/2009 at 63.33 GB. However, the Backup and Restore panel shows a red bar and it says that there is not enough space on the back up disk.

I set Backup and Restore to automatically back up daily and now the panel says, "Your last backup did not complete sueccessfully. Your files have not been backed up." If I choose to Backup Now, it starts another backup that ends with the error message "The disk that your backups are being saved on doesn't have enough free space."

Another oddity is when I choose to set up Backup, it says "This drive does not have enough space to store a system image." When I choose More Information, it says "This drive does not have enough space to store a system image. It is recommended to have 178.72 GB of free space."

Since the initial back up of 63.33, under the E drive location it is reporting I have 122.87 GB free of 186.31 and is listing the Backup Size at 63.34.

Seems it should be OK and I'm not sure why it isn't allowing a system image. Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2018 Views 3,236 Applies to:
Answer
I had the same problem, first backup was ok but after that I apparently didn't have enough room on my D drive even though there was 511gb free space.... so I checked the box " let me manage" and made sure that the box to create a system image was not checked.....the backup now goes without incident. Now I have the original system image that I created but not an updated one.  Kind of a work around I guess. At least my data is being backed up.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.